Sr. Content Editor - Video
Senior content editors assign, edit and enhance audience-focused content for multimedia presentation (internet, print, mobile). This includes working directly with journalists, free-lancers, visual journalists and database journalists on content development and execution; editing text and writing compelling headlines, teasers and story summaries; tagging content with appropriate keywords; editing photos and videos, and helping to keep the digital channels updated timely. Maintain a real-time mindset, attacking the news throughout the day, developing a continuous stream of fresh angles and new ideas.
The senior content editor utilizes metrics/analytics to showcase the best-performing content and to inform staff and audience of future coverage. Senior content editors work on varied subjects from breaking news to local entertainment to enterprise projects. They program web pages based on audience data and the mission; manage content from outside sources such as wire services; aggregate content or write quick briefs, when necessary; and publish on other digital platforms. Senior content editors possess initiative, creativity, excellent news judgment, attention to detail, and maintain a commitment to accuracy. Ability to multitask and perform well under constant deadlines with limited supervision. Assist with the development of journalists and less experienced editors, including those outside their topic area. A combination of advanced skills that include a strong command of the English language, solid understanding of digital trends in SEO, social media and audience metrics, and editing skills that conform to accepted journalistic techniques; maintains the ethical and style standards of tronc and The Hartford Courant.
- Being fast and accurate: Always striving to provide our audience with what we know, when we know it. Be transparent about sources of information.
- Supervising and working with journalists/visual journalists and others on content development, ensuring the content is fair, balanced and compelling, and presented in the optimum format for a digital audience.
- Managing courant.com and related digital products: Harness audience data to program, search for and request content, including photo and video that is of interest to the local audience and maximizes engagement.
- Editing articles and graphics for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy; proofreading others’ work; and writing headlines, captions and blurbs.
- Employing creativity to present all information in easy-to-read, visually appealing, informative and energetic design.
- Making smart, data-driven decisions on story promotion, inclusion and emphasis across all platforms, from sites to apps to email newsletters to social to alerts.
- Conceiving, creating, editing or producing various types of content including videos, maps, timelines, multimedia, documents, graphics, galleries, gifs and social aggregations.
- Monitoring wires and internal sources, including other tronc sites, for video or video opportunities on breaking news and developing stories.
- Contributing to, optimizing content for or managing social channels, including brand accounts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others as required.
- Editing photos: pulling photos from wires and other sources; cropping photos for publication, building galleries.
- Measuring performance of digital content through audience engagement metrics and helping develop tactics and strategies to build audience.
- Employing creativity and independent news judgment to text editing, designing, photo editing, and otherwise preparing work for publication.
- Striving to meet specific individual goals as assigned.
- Train and support staffers on how to use and optimize publishing tools.
- A minimum of five years reporting or editing experience at a news publication or web site, including experience in an online newsroom.
- Excellent command of oral and written English.
- Must be able and willing to work irregular hours as necessary.
- Proficient use of technology such as computers and software, iPhones, iPads, and other digital devices.
- An imagination and ability to find new ways to tell stories online.
- A team-first work ethic and an ability to foster excellent communication throughout.
- The energy and entrepreneurial spirit to raise the competitive metabolism of the entire newsroom.
- Deep familiarity with online metrics and audience tracking systems.
- Exceptional news judgment and proven ability at carving out distinctive angles on major news events.
- Ability to articulate the importance and benefits of culture change and advocate for it across the newsroom.
- Knowledge of media industry economics and challenges facing legacy media companies.
- Flexibility to work with text, photos and graphics to creating engaging interactive.
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation. Ability to write and edit accurately, with clarity, without bias.
- Familiarity with analytics and ability to translate data into tactics and strategies, including ability to use metrics from Chartbeat, Adobe Analytics, social and other tools.
- Strong working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and other social platforms and ability to develop/follow best practices for social.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to research SEO and appropriately populate fields and headlines.
- An ability to multitask in a deadline-driven environment, and adapt constructively to change.
- Personal or professional experience using web-based social networks.
- Adherence to the tronc and The Hartford Courant’s and editorial codes of ethics.
- Maintaining up-to-date skills on various digital platforms and keeping abreast of current events and newsmakers in news, sports and pop culture.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
Meet Some of tronc's Employees
Media Sales Consultant
Alex helps local businesses find unique and innovative ways to reach their customers. By working with clients to understand their strategic goals, she’s able to design custom, multi-platform campaigns that achieve results.
Back to top