Security Researcher (Alpharetta, Georgia)
Today’s threat environment changes at a rapid pace, and keeping up with the latest vulnerabilities requires expertise and efficient processes. Tripwire’s industry-leading Vulnerability and Exposure Research Team (VERT) focuses their efforts on building accurate, non-intrusive algorithms that identify the latest vulnerabilities, host configurations, and applications. VERT researches vulnerabilities and new configuration standards as they emerge, creating unique detection, which is constantly updated within Tripwire’s security and risk management solutions.
Our Research Engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, including programming, network and systems administration, technology research and software QA. The only common denominator is an overwhelming passion for solving difficult (and sometimes impossible) problems, a team-focused, result-oriented attitude and a desire to work hard with an energetic group of exceptionally talented teammates.
The primary focus of this role is to stay on top of the "vulnerability landscape" and be up-to-date on current attacks or potential attacks. The Security Engineer is responsible for reviewing, isolating, analyzing and then reverse-engineering vulnerable programs or malicious code in order to determine and understand the specific nature of the threat.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Actively participate in the industry’s most respected security research team.
- Research newly disclosed software vulnerabilities and develop detection algorithms
- Deploy and configure a wide range of operating systems, databases, and applications for research purposes.
- Expand Tripwire’s products to detect new vulnerabilities and security weaknesses.
- Keep abreast of new developments in information security, analyze the threat environment, and turn this knowledge into action that protects our clients.
- [OPTIONAL] Contribute to our VERT blog, publish research findings, present at security conferences, and participate in the standards bodies that guide global security.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- 2+ years education and/or experience in a Computer Security or IT related field
- In depth experience with computer and network security standards
- Intimate knowledge of computer operating systems. In particular, significant understanding of one or more of the following families:
- Solaris, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, BSD, and other Unix-based systems
- Windows family of operating systems especially Vista/2008/7/2008R2/8/2012/10.
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP and other Internet protocols.
- Ability to understand network protocol representations as they appear “on the wire”.
- Demonstrated knowledge of vulnerabilities and the exploits that target them.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, curiosity, and persistence are your key character traits
- Proven ability to excel in both self-directed and team oriented tasks in a fast-paced, exciting environment.
- Demonstrated interest in information security
- Ability to rapidly learn new protocols, programming languages, and architectures, and to apply that knowledge to the analysis of network traffic, exploit code, and system configurations.
- Strong understanding of analysis methodologies and research techniques.
- Experience with web application and/or database security concepts and practices.
- Knowledge of intrusion detection filters, signature definitions, and vulnerability description standards such as XCCDF, OVAL, CVE, CPE, and CCE.
- Experience with virtualization technologies.
- Understanding of operating system fingerprinting techniques.
- Strong experience with networking concepts such as: routing protocols, switching standards, firewall rules, network address translation (NAT), CIDR, BPF and other packet filtering technologies.
- Experience with tools such as IDA Pro, BinDiff, Wireshark, nmap, commercial scanning technologies, etc
Meet Some of Tripwire's Employees
Mitch collaborates with R&D Teams and product architects to create new technical designs and strategies to arm customers with the strongest cyber defense systems.
Back to top