Senior engineering management role within a high-growth division of TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site.
We are looking for an experienced tech manager to help run a growing team. The role is diverse and needs a balanced individual who can demonstrate an interest in operating at all levels of the business. The successful candidate must be able to get their hands dirty in the code while also being able to engage and manage multiple teams on large and complex features.
The role reports to the director of engineering and will be responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of multiple engineering teams in a fast paced and ever-changing environment. You will be required to be a champion of engineering and operational excellence, establish team metrics for the measurement of engineering productivity and manage a regular process for assessment and improvement.
The candidate must be an excellent people manager with proven experiencing managing engineering teams.
The candidate must have experience working with development teams in an Agile environment and be able to use communication and influence to get things done. The candidate must quickly establish them self as a technical expert and be seen as the go-to person for all things both technical and non-technical across the teams. The candidate must have an exceptional understanding of web application design and be familiar with all the usual technologies. (Java, Spring, Hibernate, Dust, Angular, Etc.)
As a technical manager you will need to have a full understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle along with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
Key Skills / Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications
- A management style that is compatible and complimentary with the existing company culture. Key attributes would include openness, integrity, collaborative decision making, and an informal but direct communication style
- A strong drive for getting features done quickly and successfully
- Passion for technology and personal interest in keeping abreast of latest technology developments and engineering management practices
- A balanced individual, both personally and professionally, with a sense of humour and fun; someone who will add positive energy to the company's environment through his/her personality
- Interest and ability in being a positive advocate for change. Not afraid to shake things up for the long term good of the business
- Strong communicator, with ability to effectively communicate within the engineering team and across departments and geographies; someone who can both explain his/her perspective and work collaboratively to come to timely and well-understood decisions
- Strong interest in managing, mentoring and motivating senior and junior software engineers; someone who is good at both giving and receiving honest and constructive feedback
- Level-headed, focused manager who is able to pay attention to detail as needed, but does not lose the big picture
- 6+ years engineering management experience
- Demonstrated experience motivating and leading high performing teams
- Proven ability to successfully grow a talented software engineering team, with the experience building the right environment and processes to maximize productivity
- Ability and recognise and grow leaders within the team
- Experience working with international teams is a big plus
- Proven track record in successful delivery of complex technology focused projects
- Experience in stakeholder management in a project environment
- Extensive experience managing teams of engineers utilizing Java technologies; experience with the design and development of real-time integration APIs with external organizations
- A strong sense of ownership of all the projects and problems being worked on by the teams
- Understanding of what is required to build efficient, scalable, decoupled, testable and maintainable code
- Detailed knowledge of web application architecture and infrastructure
- Solid experience in back-end technologies like Spring, Hibernate, SQL and relational databases (MySQL, PSQL)
- Experience with application debugging, performance monitoring and tuning
- Ability to work in a complex development environment and handle dependencies across multiple teams and branches
- Ability to spot and manage under-performing team members
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Back to top