Software Engineering Manager, Oyster.com
SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
Oyster.com is one of the sites in the SmarterTravel portfolio, delivers unbiased, expert information about hotels. Oyster sends trained reviewers to visit, comprehensively photograph, and critique each hotel reviewed on Oyster. Oyster.com has been featured by numerous media outlets, including The Today Show, 20/20, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times, we are looking for an experienced technology leader to help us grow.
If you’ve got that exceptional ability to grasp the big picture from a business perspective and figure out how to deliver on that vision with exceptional teams of software engineers; if you are willing to dive in and code to deliver on projects; and if you truly know how to inspire, motivate, and grow teams, then let’s talk!
Some of the Software Engineering Manager responsibilities include:
- Be both a highly technical, hands-on coder and effective people manager
- Acting as the liaison between Development and other disciplines within the business
- Driving the adoption of industry best-practices
- Staffing, assessing needs and attracting and retaining top talent
- Technology research, staying on top of and making recommendations for the adoption of new technologies
- Guiding and reviewing major architectural efforts
- Coaching others to challenge the status quo, consider alternatives and make hard choices
Strong candidates will have the following:
- 12+ years of relevant work experience, including hands-on technical management
- Strong, full-stack technical skills built up while successfully delivering web-based products
- Prior experience building and/or leading development of high-traffic, consumer-facing web products is strongly preferred (eCommerce, online media, etc.)
- Experience with, and knowledge of several programming languages, database technologies, and development methodologies
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Bachelor degree in Statistics, Mathematics or Computer science preferred
- Must be able to perform customary physical duties and meet appropriate social expectations of a professional office environment
At SmarterTravel, we have built an open & collaborative environment and we hire the people we want to work with (not just the ones with the right qualifications), but who also think different to us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We choose speed over perfection, but not at the expense of quality. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to make it better. Let us know if you’d like to help.
SmarterTravel is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or musical preferences. We think a diverse team builds a better product.
*** This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization. ***
Meet Some of TripAdvisor's Employees
Senior Director Of Product, Restaurants & Attractions
Sanjay oversees every aspect of restaurant and attraction page interaction and information creation to gauge what works for TripAdvisor’s 350 million monthly visitors.
Back to top