Software Engineer- Search Engine Marketing
- Needham, MA
TripAdvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 500 million travellers each month.
We're looking for an experienced software engineer to join our Viator team, working from our Needham headquarters. Viator gives travellers direct access to more than 200,000 bookable activities, enabling them to easily discover and book incredible experiences. The focus of this role will be performance marketing, particularly search engine marketing (SEM).
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration. Across Tripadvisor, we've worked hard to create an atmosphere of Speed Wins - minimising process, shipping products quickly and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organisation; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we'd love to talk to you.
What you'll do
- Code! Most of our engineers release code to production every few days and we have a daily release cycle.
- Develop platforms and tools for managing SEM, display and social accounts. This includes partner API integrations, Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) processes, feed generation and more.
- Work closely with our data scientists and analysts to produce predictive algorithms for bidding in real time.
- Daily operational support - you'll be part of a team that owns these crucial systems.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance.
- Operate across our evolving technology stack - we're using Java, SQLServer, BigQuery, Hive and more.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world - we have teams in the US, Europe and Australia and regularly work with third party partners.
What we're looking for
- At least 5 years' experience of commercial software development
- Ability to design and query relational databases.
- Solid experience developing complex ETL processes, including defining SLAs, performance measurements and monitoring.
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases and big data.
- Familiarity with Linux.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
While not mandatory, previous SEM and front-end development experience would be beneficial.
Back to top