Software Engineer - Restaurants
With more than 200 millions monthly visits and 4.5 millions listed restaurants, TripAdvisor is the leading restaurant platform for travelers in the world. Our mission is to deliver the best restaurant discovery and planning experience to a growing B2C audience and to build high ROI, easy to use online marketing services for restaurant owners and chains.
Engineers work on game changing features that are seen by millions of people a day. Some examples of those are:
- Useful Shelves of various restaurant categories that allow people quickly narrow down their searches
- Integrating with Restaurant Reservation systems for fast and convenient online booking experience
- Allowing Restaurant Owners to promote their listings based on unique targeting that is based on user's interests.
What you will do
- Write code...it's an engineering role, after all.
- Work with you team, as well as other groups like product management, design, plus others, to bring your projects to fruition.
- Touch whatever level of code required in order to complete your project.
- Be creative and pragmatic when solving the problem you are working on.
- Be a mentor for others on the team.
- Move quick. We have a weekly release so build it and ship it!
What you will bring to the team
- A want to learn
- An open mind
- The desire to move quick
- 2+ years of experience as a professional engineer.
- The understanding that done is often a better option for us than perfection.
Our tech stack is primarily Java based. You will be provided with both a Mac laptop and a Linux dev server for your daily work environment. Our storage engine is PostgreSQL,our backends are all moving to micro-services,and our web front ends are currently Dust though we're in the process of moving to React and web components. With the number of consumers who use TripAdvisor on a daily basis,you can imagine that our big data is exactly that,and so your job will have you working with Hadoop (Hive,Spark,M/R) and RedShift. We make liberal use of ML here,so you will have the chance to support,or take part in,significant optimization projects.
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 570 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide -- covering 7.3 million accommodations, airlines, attractions, and restaurants -- TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
Meet Some of TripAdvisor's Employees
Alex is part of the Places Team, which focuses on improving the quality of data on TripAdvisor’s site and working on back-end systems to ensure that information is useful and accurate.
Back to top