Viator is the world's leading resource for researching and booking unforgettable travel experiences, providing access to more than 50,000 tours, attractions and activities in more than 2,500 destinations spanning 170+ countries. Viator flagship website www.viator.com offers travelers a one-stop shop to plan, research and book trip activities with resources including more than 1 million verified traveler reviews and photos, the Viator Travel Blog, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube sites. Viator industry-leading mobile apps (www.viator.com/apps) make it easy to browse and book on the road.
Founded in 1995, Viator sells its products directly to consumers at Viator.com, the Viator apps for iOS and Android, 11 local-language sites throughout Europe, Asia and South America, and through its global network of more than 3,000 affiliates that include major hotel and airline companies, online travel agencies, city-specific sites and more. Through its collection of company operated and affiliated sites, Viator welcomes 18 million visitors per month.
Viator is headquartered in San Francisco with regional offices in Sydney, London and Las Vegas. Viator is part of the TripAdvisor family of companies.
Senior engineering role within a high-growth division of TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site. This is an exciting opportunity for a Java guru with web development skills to join our engineering team in Sydney, Australia. The role offers the ability to drive the development of leading edge social, user generated content and e-commerce functionality. The Viator team consists of world-class experts in SEO, usability, marketing, and of course, technology. Bring your skills and enthusiasm to this collaborative team.
We are looking for a senior Java developer to work on projects for our e-Commerce websites and multiple backend systems. The role includes working in our agile development teams using the latest technologies to deliver solutions in a fast paced and complex environment. Developers at Viator are cross-functional and get to work on complete vertical slices of functionality from the front end all the way to the database. If you are looking to be challenged technically and have fun, this is the place for you!
Key Skills / Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications
- Passion for software engineering and technology
- Desire to learn about new platforms, technologies and marketing technology approaches
- A love of travel is not required, but hey - why not?
- At least 4-6 years’ experience in a Java software development role
- Understanding of what is required to build efficient, scalable, decoupled, testable and maintainable code.
- Solid experience in back-end technologies like Spring, Hibernate, SQL and relational databases (MySQL, PSQL)
- Detailed knowledge of web application architecture and infrastructure
- 5+ years development experience JSP
- Previous experience building and maintaining RESTful web services
- Ability to work in a complex development environment and handle dependencies across multiple teams and branches
- Comfortable targeting a Linux server environment
- Experience with Test Driven Development techniques
- Some prior experience investigating memory or performance issues in enterprise applications
Nice to Have
- Exposure to Wildfly, Tomcat and the Docker container
- Development experience using frameworks such as Struts 2, Spring MVC and Redux
- Travel industry experience
- A good understanding of the Apache web server and related modules
- Basic SEO knowledge
- Familiar with JMS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Meet Some of TripAdvisor's Employees
Jennifer focuses on constantly bringing new clients onboard TripAdvisor’s advertisement platforms, maintaining individual client relationships and retaining each company’s business year after year.
Back to top