Lead Software Engineer
Viator is the world's leading resource for researching and booking unforgettable travel experiences, providing access to more than 45,000 tours, attractions and activities in more than 800 destinations spanning 150+ countries. Viator flagship website www.viator.com offers travellers a one-stop shop to plan, research and book trip activities with resources including more than 350,000 traveller reviews and photos, the Viator Travel Blog, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube sites. Viator industry-leading mobile apps (www.viator.com/apps) make it easy to browse and book on the road.
Founded in 1995, Viator sells its products directly to consumers at Viator.com, through 24 additional consumer-facing websites including nine local-language sites throughout Europe, Asia and South America, and through its global network of more than 1,000 affiliates that include major hotel and airline companies, online travel agencies, city-specific sites and more. Through its collection of company operated and affiliated sites, Viator welcomes 12+ million visitors per month.
Viator is headquartered in San Francisco with regional offices in Sydney, London and Las Vegas. Viator is part of the TripAdvisor family of companies.
Senior engineering role within a high-growth division of TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site.
We are looking for an experienced lead software engineer to manage a small but growing engineering team in San Francisco. The role is diverse and requires a balanced individual with the ability to operate at all levels of the business. The successful candidate must be able to independently manage and grow a small team while also being able to to work on projects for our e-Commerce websites and multiple backend systems.
You will be using using the latest technologies to deliver solutions in a fast paced and complex environment. Developers at Viator are cross-platform and get to work on complete vertical slices of functionality from the front end all the way to the database. If you are looking to be challenged technically and have fun, this is the place for you!
The role is reporting to the Software Engineering Director in Sydney and will be responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of two San Francisco based engineering teams working on different streams of work in a distributed agile environment. You will be required to be a champion of engineering and operations excellence and must be able to work independently of the engineering team in Sydney. Above all the successful candidate will need to help establish a great engineering culture in San Francisco while also maintaining close ties with the team in Sydney.
The candidate MUST have experience working with development teams in an Agile environment and be able to use communication and influence to get things done. The candidate must have an exceptional understanding of web application design and be familiar with current technologies. (Java, Spring, Hibernate, Angular, Bootstrap, Etc.)
As a lead software engineer you must have a passion for technology, an ability to manage a small team of engineers and a full understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle along with a Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
Key Skills / Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications
- Passion for software engineering and technology
- Desire to learn about new platforms, technologies and marketing technology approaches
- A love of travel is not required, but hey - why not?
- At least 7 years’ experience in a Java software development role
- At least 3 of those years in a technical lead role
- Understanding of what is required to build efficient, scalable, decoupled, testable and maintainable code.
- Solid experience in back-end technologies like Spring, Hibernate, SQL and relational databases (MySQL, PSQL)
- Detailed knowledge of web application architecture and infrastructure
- 5+ years development experience JSP
- Previous experience building and maintaining RESTful web services
- Ability to work in a complex development environment and handle dependencies across multiple teams and branches
- Comfortable targeting a Linux server environment
- Experience with Test Driven Development techniques
- Some prior experience investigating memory or performance issues in enterprise applications
Nice to Have
- Exposure to Wildfly, Tomcat and the Docker container
- Development experience using frameworks such as Struts 2, Spring MVC and Angular JS
- Travel industry experience
- A good understanding of the Apache web server and related modules
- Basic SEO knowledge
- Familiar with JMS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Back to top