Senior Systems Engineer
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 630 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide - covering approximately 7.5 million accommodations, airlines, experiences, and restaurants -- TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors*, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Systems Engineer to join our Systems Engineering / DevOps team. We are looking to fill a need for a highly competent and highly motivated individual to be part of the team driving Tripadvisor's Amazon Web Services (AWS) setup and development.
As part of the Operations team, you'll be on the frontlines of a rapidly growing infrastructure. We're looking for a self-starter with deep OS knowledge as well as programming skills, and who has repeatable and sustainable systems management in mind.A successful candidate must bring hybrid software and system engineering experience and insight to help build, operate, and maintain our rapid-growing infrastructure.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage the test and production AWS environments, set up powerful monitoring and alerting.
- Work closely with development teams to integrate their projects into the production AWS environment and ensure their ongoing support once there.
- Gain a deep application-level knowledge of the systems as well as contributing to their overall design.
- Be a DevOps champion - work closely with other internal teams to build security, reliability, and scalability into the development lifecycle.
- You will troubleshoot issues across the entire stack: hardware, software, application and network.
- Build engineering automation and productivity tools to streamline and scale applications in the production environment
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to application development, deployment and operations
- Build from the ground up reliable infrastructure services in AWS to deliver highly scalable services
- Work with a team of peers who are smart, professional, pull their own weight, and share a passion for what they're creating. A few examples of technologies we work with on a daily basis:
- AWS (VPC, ELB, SQS, Beanstalk, container services, S3, RDS, Elasticache, API gateway, etc.)
- MySQL (AWS Aurora) & Postgres
- Play framework & Spring
Education, Skills & Experience
- B.S. or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience, with at least3 years experience of Unix/Linux administration
- Strong experience building and maintaining production systems within the AWS ecosystem
- Very strong scripting and automation skills - you believe you can automate everything
- Solid experience and background working with AWS services
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and thorough understanding of configuration management concepts.
- Experience with monitoring, metrics, and visualization tools
- A solid Ops foundation - you're always thinking What happens if this fails when you build things
- Organized, good attention to details, and able to work both independently and with a team
- Familiarity with build & release automation tools and methodologies like CircleCI
Bonus points if you
- Have worked with Big Data processing and query-ing
- Have experience with Docker or ECS
- Have experience with MySQL or Postgres
- Have experience with Elasticsearch
Meet Some of TripAdvisor's Employees
Alex is part of the Places Team, which focuses on improving the quality of data on TripAdvisor’s site and working on back-end systems to ensure that information is useful and accurate.
Back to top