Senior Systems Administrator
TripAdvisor is the world's largest online travel site, visited by 390 million travelers each month, and our business - TripAdvisor Rentals - is a fascinating and ever-evolving part of the organization. Rentals are a significant revenue generator and key growth area not just for TripAdvisor, but also for the travel industry on the whole. It's a category that's rapidly gaining popularity; around two-thirds of travelers say they plan to stay in a rental this year, up from 50% two years ago. Our job is to ensure that we fulfill this demand and, ultimately, help travelers all over the world take amazing holidays, whether they're staying in a studio in Sydney, a tree house in Costa Rica, or a cottage in the Cotswolds.
As part of the Operational team, you'll be on the frontlines of a rapidly growing infrastructure. We're looking for a self-starter with deep OS knowledge as well as programming skills, and who has repeatable and sustainable systems management in mind.
We rely heavily on automation and software systems to improve our operational efficiency and accuracy, from inventory and provisioning of systems, to monitoring and auto-remediation issues happening in our environment. We also continuously codify behaviors and rules that are important for the systems to operate correctly and efficiently. A successful candidate must be like-minded and bring hybrid software and system engineering experience and insight to help build, operate, and maintain our rapid-growing infrastructure.
What You'll Do:
- You will be a part of a fast moving team in a growing and constantly evolving production environment
- Responsible for reliability, availability and security of our infrastructure by continuously improving it as well as sharing an on-call rotation with the team.
- You will troubleshoot issues across the entire stack: hardware, software, application and network
- You will be responsible for improving the reliability and resilience of our infrastructure through root-cause analysis and reviewing gaps in designs and implementations of our infrastructure.
- You will help maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health
Who You Are:
- Strong experience building and maintaining production systems within the AWS ecosystem leveraging tools such as cloudformation
- Expert with systems on premise & hosted in datacenter
- Experience with administrating a RDBMS in a production environment, preferably PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Strong knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals.
- Thorough understanding of configuration management concepts. Experience in Puppet, Ansible or equivalent configuration management systems.
- Expertise utilizing continuous integration servers like Jenkins
- Creating/maintaining production quality Docker images for use in development and production on bare metal and K8s.
- Experience with monitoring, metrics, and visualization tools (Icinga, Graphite, Prometheus, ELK, etc.)
- Ability to code really well in at least one programming language, and have done that to enhance existing software systems.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Organized, good attention to details, and able to work both independently and with a team
- B.S. or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience
- Familiarity with common web technologies such as memcached, redis, solr, zookeeper
What you'll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus.
- Excellent contributory retirement plan.
- Full medical.
- Full dental.
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership)
- Personal travel reimbursement.
- Critical illness plus full life insurance.
Back to top