Senior Software Engineer
TripAdvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 455 million travellers each month.
The Oxford office of the Experiences and Rentals group is looking for senior software engineers to join our fast-growing TripAdvisor Experiences Demand team. Our work there supports hundreds of thousands of travellers each day booking attractions across the globe on the core TripAdvisor website.
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration.
Across TripAdvisor, we've worked hard to create an atmosphere of Speed Wins - minimising process, shipping products quickly and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organisation; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we'd love to talk to you.
What you'll do
- Code! Our tech stack is primarily Java based. At the front-end we're currently using Dust.js but we're in the process of moving to React and web components. We're adopting microservices at the back end and use PostgreSQL for data storage.
- Here are some examples of what you could be involved in:
- Creating the best-in-class shopping process for Experiences, allowing travellers to discover the best attractions and make hassle-free bookings.
- Architecting the scalability needed to grow our already largest-in-class inventory of bookable experiences and user reviews.
- Building features and services on world's largest travel website.
- With the number of consumers who use TripAdvisor on a daily basis, you can imagine that our big data is exactly that. Part of your job would have you working with Hadoop (Hive, Spark, M/R) and RedShift. We make liberal use of machine learning, so you will have the chance to support, or take part in, significant optimization projects.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance.
- Touch code at every level - from the web UI, through backend microservices and down to the database.
- Collaborate closely with Product and design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world. We have teams in the US and Australia and regularly work with third parties. There's plenty of opportunity for travel if you want it.
What we're looking for
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Deep understanding of a first-class object-oriented language such as Java or C#.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies. You don't need to have experience with everything listed above but you do need to be hungry to learn.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
What you'll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus.
- Excellent contributory pension.
- Full family private medical cover.
- Full dental cover.
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership)
- Personal travel reimbursement.
- Critical illness plus full life cover.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Free shuttle buses from Oxford and surrounding villages.
- Employee assistance program.
Back to top