Senior Manager of Technical Accounting
TripAdvisor provides a unique, global work environment that captures the speed, innovation and excitement of a startup, at a thriving, growing and well-established industry brand. At TripAdvisor, you will be part of a dynamic, fun, and energetic team where you can immediately make meaningful contributions.
As a Sr. Manager of Technical Accounting you will work closely with the VP, Accounting and Reporting in addressing various technical accounting topics, including revenue recognition, consolidations, leases, business combinations, stock-based compensation, and revenue; as well as adoption of new accounting standards, establishing accounting policies, and support of global accounting operations in application of US GAAP. In addition, you will assist and support the external reporting function by assisting in preparation of 10-Q's/10K's and other reporting. The position will be an individual contributor.
Responsibilities of the Sr. Manager of Technical Accounting
- Serve as expert on US GAAP technical accounting matters and financial disclosure requirements. In addition, provide support for IFRS technical accounting matters. Regularly collaborate with accounting and finance leaders to identify, research, resolve and communicate findings on accounting-related questions regarding business transactions and other non-routine matters.
- Research new accounting guidance and exposure drafts, independently assess implications serving as the accounting subject matter expert, prepare accounting memoranda, train & communicate with the business divisions and functional departments that are impacted, and manage a timely implementation plan.
- Perform technical accounting within a broad range of topics, including consolidations, leases(ASC 842), business combinations, stock-based compensation, financial instruments, and revenue(ASC 606)
- Establish, maintain and communicate robust global accounting policies.
- Gain in-depth understanding of the company's operations, business strategies and processes.
- Serve a critical role as subject matter expert for revenue recognition (ASC 606) and other complex accounting topics. Help carry out company policies and procedures put in place because of the new revenue recognition standard (ASC 606).
- Assist the business in the ongoing implementation of the new leasing standard (ASC 842).
- Collaborate with company's global accounting teams to determine appropriate action for certain transactions, research applicable accounting guidance when complex matters arise, prepare accounting memoranda, and present findings/accounting updates to the global business.
- Assist external reporting team in preparation of all aspects of SEC filing requirements, including Form 10-Q, Form 10-K, Annual Proxy and 8K's, including drafting new disclosures required in new accounting pronouncements, as adopted.
- Partner with Internal Audit to monitor business for compliance with US GAAP and IFRS and the company's global accounting policies and to evaluate accounting and reporting processes for consistency and improvement where needed.
- Work closely with the external auditors to resolve complex accounting issues for the timely issuance of financial reports to external stakeholders.
- Assist in acquisition accounting and transaction structuring relating to any M&A activity.
- Lead ad-hoc technical accounting projects, as needed.
Requirements of the Technical Accounting Manager
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or equivalent and CPA required, Master's Degree or IFRS experience a plus
- 6-8 years of relevant experience from public accounting and/or large public company
- Prior technical accounting in broad range of topics, including consolidations, leases, business combinations, stock-based compensation, financial instruments, and revenue; ASC 606 experience strongly preferred
- Prior experience in external reporting/SEC reporting requirements strongly preferred
- Strong GAAP accounting knowledge
- Problem-solving skills and ability to interpret/apply technical accounting literature
- Ability to work autonomously and act in a consultative role
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong documentation skills-clear, concise, detailed and accurate
- Ability to work with all levels of management and teams within organization
- Strong process and time management skills
- Proven ability to build strong positive relationships and work directly with senior executives
Back to top