Senior Manager, Machine Learning, Viator
- Needham, MA
Tripadvisor is looking for an experienced Machine Learning Scientist to join and lead a small team of scientists working on our Viator brand, home to over 300K bookable experiences worldwide. As a Senior Manager on this team, you will have the opportunity to lead and develop current team members, while also serving as a technical leader who can still deploy models to production. Some common business problems we face include: recommender systems, NLP/NLU, computer vision, online advertising and targeting, ranking algorithms, and more. This is a great opportunity to make your mark on a growing brand in the Tripadvisor family as we plan our course ahead and prepare for the inevitable surge in travel post Covid-19.
Beyond leading the team of ML scientists, you will also be expected to work cross-functionally with analysts, software engineers, data engineers, product managers, and more. You will be expected to drive forward with your own agenda and roadmap for Machine Learning at Viator, while fitting in with the larger scope of the company. The ideal candidate for this role should be comfortable with and have some experience in operating in this capacity. This position will report directly to the Director of Data Sciencefor Viator.
What you will do:
- Lead a team of 3-5 scientists, operating as both a technical and people lead.
- Develop quarterly roadmaps that align with the company vision and solve key business problems.
- Lead by example with documentation and best practices.
- Process massive amounts of structured and unstructured data using Spark/SQL/Hive.
- Build advanced supervised and unsupervised machine learning models - e.g. XGBoost/LightGBM, neural networks (auto-encoders, feedforward networks, RNNs/CNNs, language models, etc.), bandit/Bayesian algorithms, time-series modeling, and more.
- Research new machine learning solutions to complex business problems.
- Write production code in Python.
- Carry out A/B test experiments and understand basics of causal inference.
- Communicate findings to non-technical audience.
What you will bring to the team:
- PhD or Masters in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or related field (PhD preferred).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong background in machine learning and statistics.Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms.
- Proficiency in Python for numerical/statistical programming (including Numpy, Pandas, and Scikit-learn).
- Experience deploying and maintaining ML models in production.
- Experience training deep neural networks.
- Experience with natural language processing.
- Ability to write complex SQL queries6+ years of industry experience in data science or machine learning.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a team lead.
Back to top