Principal Software Engineer– Places Team
World's largest travel website TripAdvisor has a database of millions of accommodations, restaurants, attractions and other points of interest. The Places team's mission is building world's best POI database for travelers. Our goal is making sure that we have valid, accurate and complete information on all our listings. From basic listing information to detailed meta data, from geocodes to photos. The Places team is responsible for building the platforms to collect, manage and engineer content that makes up the listings.
Managing huge amounts of content, managing our integrations with third parties, mining our data to learn from it to engineer new pieces of information that can be useful for TripAdvisor users, making sure we don't have duplicate listings, identifying and collecting the most important pieces of content that we need, targeting the right people at the right time for content collection is some of our challenges.
The Places team is truly a full-stack engineering organization that is like an independent startup within the larger TripAdvisor engineering department. We have our own infrastructure, our own separate codebase for most of the work we do. We have a wide spectrum of projects from Machine learning to backend application development, from front-end development for desktop and mobile to operational tasks in our infrastructure.
Our website and mobile apps provide our users with a rich user experience to research, collaborate, and contribute. We have big data with over 225 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 340 million unique visitors each month.
You will be expected to provide technical direction and guidance to the engineers of the team. You will individually contribute by tackling some of the big technical challenges yourself, you will provide technical designs or help other engineers with their technical designs, you will do code reviews, you will work closely with the product team and the technical manager to help setting the course for the team. Your work will directly enrich our product, which generates more than a billion dollars of revenue annually.
Can you operate in a highly-iterative agile development environment, delivering significant new functionality every week? Can you lead and mentor more junior staff members as they learn their craft? Can you interact with a wide variety of peers across the organization to get to a single result? Are you, above all else, passionate about what you do and who you do it for?
• You have at least a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, with 5+ years of practical experience, preferably in a startup or similar early-stage company
• You show a sense of ownership and pride in your code, and you can make us believe you’ll excel
• You can easily point to multiple activities and projects in your career that demonstrate how you go above and beyond, delivering much more than was expected, in less time than predicted
• You can effectively code large-scale feature sets at every level of the stack, from the database through to the UI
• You find the live operations of your code fulfilling and worth getting right
• You have in-depth knowledge of enterprise design patterns and proven experience with relevant technologies.
• You are comfortable with the Linux operating system, Java programming language and working with any relational/non-relational database system.
• Experience with cloud computing, service oriented architectures and high scale distributed applications is a plus.
• It would be totally awesome if you had a background encompassing statistical NLP or similar ML techniques
Meet Some of TripAdvisor's Employees
Senior Director Of Product, Restaurants & Attractions
Sanjay oversees every aspect of restaurant and attraction page interaction and information creation to gauge what works for TripAdvisor’s 350 million monthly visitors.
Back to top