Principal Software Engineer - Hotels
Our Hotel's team is focused on building the world's best hotel experience for our travelers. This combines both our consumer facing side for travelers to come to research, plan, and book the perfect hotel. As well as building a platform for our suppliers: hoteliers, and OTAs to advertise and display their prices with corresponding availability.
Engineers work on game changing features that are seen by millions of people a day. Such as:
- Build a real-time auction using sophisticated logic at a large scale to support OTAs and hoteliers displaying on our site.
- Rebuilding the site to drive our mobile first initiative by providing recommendations and custom filters to provide a better user experience.
- You will build products (both free and paid) for Hotel owners, including hotel listings, hotel sponsorships, and in depth analytics of hotel's performance on our site.
Our product feedback loop is immediate which means we can rapidly iterate and deploy. If you enjoy building full stack applications from the ground up, leveraging the newest technologies to delight users, and executing like an entrepreneur, then you've found the right place. Technical focus includes full stack web development, reporting, analytics, web security, ecommerce, user interface (UI), and user experience (UX) development. We optimize the site with an iterative, agile, and data-driven approach by running several concurrent A/B tests a week. TripAdvisor is built on a massively scaled infrastructure and utilizes modern web technologies to create a cutting edge product.
Our tech stack is primarily Java based. You will be provided with both a Mac laptop and a Linux dev server for your daily work environment. Our storage engine is PostgreSQL,our backends are all moving to micro-services,and our web front ends are currently Dust though we're in the process of moving to React and web components. With the number of consumers who use TripAdvisor on a daily basis,you can imagine that our big data is exactly that,and so your job will have you working with Hadoop (Hive,Spark,M/R) and RedShift. We make liberal use of ML here,so you will have the chance to support,or take part in,significant optimization projects.
As a Principal software engineer at TripAdvisor, you will provide technical leadership in an environment that moves fast (weekly and even daily releases), is based on close collaboration between teams and team members, and that expects you to own your projects as well as the success of the team.
What you will do
- Write code...it's an engineering role, after all.
- Work with your team, as well as other groups like product management, design, plus others, to bring your projects to fruition.
- Touch whatever level of code required in order to complete your project.
- Be creative and pragmatic when solving the problem you are working on.
- Be a mentor for others on the team.
- Move quickly. We have a weekly release so build it and ship it!
- Design complex systems and lead the technical solution of projects
- Work closely with our product and design teams to define feature specifications
- Develop, deploy and maintain full stack implementations of owner- and consumer-facing features of TripAdvisor Restaurant experience
- Be responsible for the code quality on your team
- Mentor more junior developers
- Be responsible for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance
What you will bring to the team
- A want to learn
- An open mind
- The desire to move quick
- The understanding that done is often a better option for us than perfection.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of large scale, full life cycle development experience
- Has operational mindset to build/deploy/monitor production systems.
- Prior experience in a startup a plus
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 600 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide - covering approximately 7.5 million accommodations, airlines, attractions, and restaurants -- TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors*, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
Back to top