Principal Software Engineer
- Ottawa, Canada
Tripadvisor's mission is to help people around the world plan and have the perfect trip. Across Tripadvisor, we've worked hard to create an atmosphere of Speed Wins - minimizing process, shipping products quickly, and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organization; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement, and take responsibility for their own designs.
In this role, within the data platform engineering group, you will help us design, build, and operate our new tracking and experimentation platform that is at the core of our data-driven culture.
What you'll do
● Mentor and lead more junior developers.
● Take responsibility for the quality of the code produced by you and the team.
● Operate across our evolving technology stack - Java, React, SQL, and more.
● Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to
implementation, QA, and maintenance.
● Touch code at every level - from the UI, through backend microservices and down to the
● Collaborate closely with Product, Data Engineering, Machine Learning, Analytics as well
as other functional teams to define feature specifications and develop high-quality
deliverables for our customers.
● Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world (US, Canada, UK,
What we are looking for
● BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
● 10+ years of general software development
● Proven record of establishing longer-term technology vision and strategy
● Proven record of acting as a technology leader within an organization
● Proven record of mentoring junior members of the team
● Proven record of innovation via non-trivial solutions to day-to-day problems
● Solid experience in designing high-scale, fault-tolerant, and performant distributed
● Experience developing complex ETL processes and streaming data pipelines; including
defining SLA and performance monitoring
● Familiarity with big data modeling and tools (Spark, Hive, Snowflake, Big Query, Presto,
Nice to have
● Experience with frontend technologies (React, GraphQL, etc.)
● Previous experience in the tracking/experimentation field
● Comfortable working in a Linux CLI environment
● Strong interpersonal skills, intense curiosity, and enthusiasm for solving difficult
● Organized, self-motivator, great communicator and detail-oriented
● Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Back to top