TripAdvisor is seeking an experienced software engineer to join our Technology and Infrastructure group. You’ll be joining a small, highly experienced team tackling difficult software design and scalability issues that span organizations and often involve troubleshooting in live production environments. The role involves identifying and addressing problem areas affecting our production applications and developer efficiency. You’ll identify relevant metrics and implement solutions to address problems. When needed, you’ll work with other teams within the company to drive adoption of new techniques. You’ll also offer your expertise across the organization in support of other teams to help them build better systems.
Sample issues we’ve worked on and/or consulted on within TripAdvisor:
- Capacity improvements through software changes while maintaining site performance as traffic increased (e.g., no additional hardware for more than 12 months).
- Heap reduction and GC tuning.
- HTTP Response size reductions.
- Database load reduction with prepared statement caching.
- Improved stability via improved database connection management, load balancing of service calls, and Memcached server naming and key generation.
- B.S. or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience with a proven track record as an engineer building scalable web sites.
- Experience conducting code reviews; leading technical discussions, designing/architecting solutions
- Java or C++ development experience in a UNIX or Linux environment.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Web and client-side programming is a plus.
- Native application development is a plus.
Back to top