Director, Communications & Brand Marketing
SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing, the Director of Communications and Brand Marketing is responsible for the design, development, implementation and evaluation of an integrated communications and brand program. The individual in this role is ultimately responsible for generating and enhancing awareness by increasing our brands’ visibility and reputation. This role is expected to lead strategically and also be willing to engage significantly in operational activities. The Director, Brand & Communications will be a Team Leader to the PR and Brand functions, and will work out of our office in Boston, MA (right next to North Station).
The Brand Marketing and PR/Communications department is responsible for media communications, brand marketing and promotional partnerships. You will ensure that the Smarter Travel portfolio of sites have clear and differentiated brand value propositions, develop co-marketing relationships with synergistic third party partners and own the media communications and PR strategy.
You will develop Communication and Branding Strategies for the Smarter Travel portfolio that will increase awareness and drive engagement. This includes brand strategy, co-marketing partnerships, public relations, and corporate web site development and communications. In this results-oriented organization, you will be responsible for demonstrating a measurable impact on the business through the brand and PR channels. This team operates as an internal agency providing shared services to business units across our portfolio of sites.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Development of consumer value proposition framework and documentation of key messaging for our brands.
- In collaboration with our internal creative team, creation of brand and style guidelines.
- Oversight of consumer research, NPS studies and usability labs.
- Crafting and implementing an integrated media communications strategy for key brands that generates coverage and publicity in target media outlets to drive awareness and site visits.
- Collaborate with editorial and other teams to guide social media strategy and ensure that our brand messaging is consistent and integrated with our overall consumer communications and marketing plans.
- Servicing multiple business units, collaborating with cross functional teams therein and partnering effectively with stakeholders to serve the needs of the respective businesses.
- Lead and manage the employees in the department, ensuring clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved. Ensure individuals’ performance and development needs are met and employees are high performing and engaged.
Required experience & qualifications:
- 10+ years of professional experience in public relations and brand management
- Ability to represent the organization in external forums.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field required.
- MBA preferred.
- Background in travel industry a plus.
Required Skills & Competencies:
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing successful brand marketing and communication strategies.
- Strong competency in media relations including digital and national broadcast media.
- Exceptional strategic thinking.
- Experience working on complex communications and brand initiatives with internal resources.
- Solid experience in the use of consumer research and its applicability in developing brand strategies.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including presentation capabilities.
- Ability to act as a program manager and drive multiple projects by priority and meet subsequent milestones.
- Demonstrated ability to service multiple stakeholders and collaborate effectively with cross functional teams.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with demonstrated experience in project planning.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and on high profile and results-oriented projects.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills and the exceptional ability to translate these skills into operational plans.
- Excellent ability to manage and lead, change and present ideas that motivate staff to strive for increased achievement of our mission, vision and strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to lead and inspire teams and coach and develop staff.
- Ability to gain the trust of others and foster collaborative relationships. Proven ability to build collaborative, impactful relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to perform customary physical duties and meet appropriate social expectations of a professional office environment
At SmarterTravel, we have built an open & collaborative environment and we hire the people we want to work with (not just the ones with the right qualifications), but who also think different to us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We choose speed over perfection, but not at the expense of quality. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to make it better. Let us know if you’d like to help.
SmarterTravel is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or musical preferences. We think a diverse team builds a better product.
*** This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization. ***
Back to top