BI Engineer II
SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up (3 of our products are less than 5 years old), but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
Come join Smarter Travel’s growing Business Intelligence team as a BI Engineer. You will be involved in all phases of data warehousing from planning to implementation to support. We are a small team of 4 that move quickly, are proud of our very high level of service to all parts of the business, and are constantly looking to improve how we collect and provide data solutions to our customers.
Smarter Travel currently uses the full Microsoft SQL Server BI stack and is looking to add/use additional tools as required such as Kafka, Spark, Redshift, R, Graph DBs, etc.
This person will fill an essential role in the continued build out and refactoring of the existing Smarter Travel BI solution. We are looking for someone with a solid foundation in traditional SQL/Cube based data warehouse building who is not afraid to explore solutions that may be outside of that core tool set.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with internal and external clients to understand business requirements
- Design, implement, and refactor data warehouse schemas
- Design, implement, and support ETL flows for the data warehouse
- Design, implement, and deliver reports based on business requirements using SSRS, PowerBI
- Design, implement, and support OLAP Cubes and supporting databases
- Understand the data source systems and source data in detail and become a SME
- QA any work done by self and other team members
- Document all of the design and development artifacts
- Troubleshoot and support all BI related production processing
- Understand the current reporting environment and use that knowledge to continuously improve the enterprise data warehouse.
- 4+ years’ experience in the design, development, and testing of Data Warehouse implementations
- 4+ years of experience with SQL and Relational Databases
- 5+ years of overall software industry experience
- Experience with MS SQL Server is a must; preferably 2012+
- Extensive experience with writing SQL and Stored Procedures, query tuning etc.
- Deep knowledge of dimensional modeling and experience with it on at least 2 large projects in production
- Experience with designing Microsoft cube solutions that made it to production
- Demonstrate understanding of MDX
- Experience with ETL tools such as SSIS
- Experience with reporting tools such as SSRS, PowerBI, Excel
- Ability to communicate and work with both technical and non-technical team members
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, teamwork, and issue resolution
- A problem-solving mindset; this individual should be highly motivated and self-directed
- Experience with Apache Hadoop/Hive integration, R, Spark, Kafka, Java, C#, working with 3rd party API’s (Facebook, Criteo, Google) is also a big plus
- BS or BA (or equivalent) in computer science or equivalent discipline (EE, Math etc.)
Smarter Travel is part of the TripAdvisor Media group and a leader in the growing online travel market. We offer consumers a portfolio of travel sites that provide great ways for travelers to save money on their trips. As a company, we are a small group of passionate professionals with the energy of a start-up and the stability of a profitable enterprise.
At Smarter Travel Media, we hire people we really want to work with. Sure, everyone is intelligent and hard-working, but they're also friendly and fun. We always push ourselves to do better, but we also go out for drinks or change into sneakers and go for a run after work. The point is, working with people you like goes a long way toward actually liking your work.
Meet Some of TripAdvisor's Employees
Senior Director Of Product, Restaurants & Attractions
Sanjay oversees every aspect of restaurant and attraction page interaction and information creation to gauge what works for TripAdvisor’s 350 million monthly visitors.
Back to top