Truck Driver, CDL - 3rd Shift
This position is responsible for ensuring that newspaper bundles are properly, safely and accurately delivered, on time, from the Hartford Courant's loading docks to relay drivers, distribution centers and other locations by driving, loading and unloading truck. This is a 3rd shift position, requires a commercial driver's license (CDL) with airbrake endorsement in good standing with no violations during the past 3 years.
- Operate delivery truck safely and responsibly.
- With or without the assistance of a helper, load and unload the truck, count bundles accurately and assure they're neatly stacked in a protected, dry location for each relay driver. Maintain a high level of integrity by placing different papers, zoned products separately from each relay driver. Direct the work of the "helper" in loading and unloading of the products.
- Read and follow manifests, adapt to changes in the bulk location drops as they occur.
- Maintain a license to operate a hand truck as required by OSHA and Courant policy.
- Responsible for the truck and the newspapers, and for avoiding damage to property of residents, particularly when delivering advance sections.
- Report truck damage or mechanical defects on "Driver Report" to guarantee the proper information to the mechanics so that repairs can be performed to ensure proper mechanical and safety operations of the vehicles.
- Perform a wide range of additional duties as required to assure on time delivery.
- Irregular schedule including nights, weekends and holidays; on the road or outside during any kind of weather.
- Promptness is measured in minutes so that accuracy is essential; also note that changes in independent carriers and locations may occur several times in a week.
- High school diploma or GED and technical school equivalency.
- Three years' driving history in good standing.
- Commercial driver's license with air brake endorsement.
- Experience as HCMG's driver's helper preferred.
- Knowledge of state highways and roads and alternative routes.
- Good interpersonal skills to work with other departmental employees, helpers and bulk drivers.
- Excellent driving skills in any weather.
- Good navigation skills and ability to follow directions to locate destinations in a timely fashion.
- Ability to manually lift 50 pounds to move bundles in and out of truck efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Ability to climb into back of truck which is 4 feet high (a step halfway and a pull handle are available).
- Must continuously meet D.O.T. physical qualifications and renew as required.
The Hartford Courant is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.
Back to top