Staffer, Insert (Packaging- 2nd Shift)
The Insert Staffer performs various duties in preparing insert preprints for bulk delivery including loading preprints into the insert machine hopper feeder, loading completed bundles onto skids, preparing inserts for post office delivery and cleaning insert area. Schedule may vary depending on amount of preprints. Employees must have a high degree of safety awareness.
- Feed preprints into insert machine hopper neatly and accurately, consistent with the speed required by the machinery.
- Monitor insert machine to reduce double inserts and/or skips so that all jackets have correct inserts, inspecting for damage.
- Remove completed bundles, weighing 20 to 50 pounds and stack neatly for next step in packaging delivery.
- Stack down bundles on skids in required patterns which are straight and even, consistent with the speed required by the machinery.
- Ensure that the pallets are stacked into straight rows and evenly spaced.
- Monitor assigned machinery for any malfunction, quickly shutting off machine and reporting malfunction to Machine Operator or Supervisor.
- React quickly to sudden changes in production operations and instructions from the supervisor.
- Perform general clean-up of papers, skids and debris that accumulate during the shift, adhering to job procedures and Courant recycling practices.
- Employees must exhibit a high degree of safety awareness and comply with all safety protocols including the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Perform additional duties to assist in meeting department and company goals.
- Some high school preferred.
- No experience required.
- Manual dexterity; strength and agility to lift and move up to 50 pounds throughout the duration of the shift.
- Ability to concentrate and maintain accuracy while machines are running (noise and vibration).
- Ability to stand for duration of shift.
- Work schedules may vary based on business needs and include nights, weekends and holidays.
The Hartford Courant is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.
Back to top