The Morning Call in Allentown, Pa., is looking for a Urban Life reporter who will tell the stories of our underreported urban communities, not from the politicians' point of view, but its residents, particularly in the Latino neighborhoods of Allentown, whose population is 50% Hispanic, and Bethlehem. We want a reporter who will be aggressive in developing sources in the community in pursuit of telling stories of social injustice and how that injustice affects daily lives. We also want a reporter to show the positive or negative effects of public policy on urban residents, including criminal justice and possible reforms. In short, we want to tell the stories of our cities that we aren't telling now. The Morning Call is part of Tribune Publishing, located 60 miles north of Philadelphia and 90 miles west of New York City in the thriving Lehigh Valley.
The Morning Call is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us!
- Pitch (or be assigned) and report stories that will appear online and in print.
- Use a variety of media -- text, still photo, video, etc. -- to best effect in storytelling
- Use social media to promote content and spark community discussion.
- Use news awareness and audience metrics/analytics to refine coverage.
- Ensure that content is optimized for search engines and social media sharing
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or Communications preferred.
- Reporting experience with a daily newspaper.
- Good working knowledge with various Social Media platforms
- Experienced with content management systems.
- Excellent writing, reporting and editing skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to work well with others.
- Bilingual speaking skills and social media acuity
- Ability to remain organized and follow through on assignments timely.
- Ability to maintain accuracy in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple priorities
The Morning Call is Lehigh Valley's most widely read source of news and information. As we continue building our exciting digital future, it's our mission to serve our community by delivering the truth every day, engaging our readers and driving results for our advertisers.
Tribune Publishing Company (TPCO) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, Tribune Publishing Company operates local media businesses in eight markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Virginia's Daily Press and The Virginian-Pilot, The Morning Call of Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, and the Hartford Courant.
Tribune Publishing Company also operates Tribune Content Agency (TCA) and the Daily Meal and is majority owner of BestReviews.
Our brands are committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities. We create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.