The Chicago Tribune is hiring overnight Packaging Specialists at our warehouse facility who perform the day-to-day tasks of inserting commercial advertisements into machinery to ensure we meet our daily operations goals. Although previous warehouse/production experience is preferred, we are willing to train individuals to meet our organization's growing needs.
We're hiring for 2nd shift:
- Nightside (2nd) shift starts at 7 PM
Starting pay rate is $17.00 per hour.
Chicago Tribune, part of Tribune Publishing, is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that's the only way we deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
- To be familiar with and adhere to department policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards of performance, attendance policy, safety policy, code of conduct policy, housekeeping, etc.
- To meet productivity, reliability and quality standards and goals
- To monitor and/or operate automatic equipment and systems including, but not limited to, stackers, tyers, lifts, conveyors, hopper loaders, insert feeding stations, palletizers, labelers, stretch wrap machine, Schur system, etc.
- Operate and troubleshoot palletizer, inserting and stretchwrap equipment and understand manual and automatic controls
- To feed free standing inserts into inserting machinery
- To replace stretch film and read and understand labels
- To monitor overall production flow and check for quality, accuracy and product integrity
- To maintain ongoing communication with inserting Technician operator
- To complete daily reports as required by Team Lead
- To maintain positive working relationships at all levels of the organization
- To train new employees on any packaging related tasks as assigned by supervisory personnel
- To manually pile/unpile bundles of newspaper or free standing inserts
- To identify equipment malfunctions and request service from maintenance department
- To operate lift truck and/or mule to transport preprinted material to and from storage or processing areas
- To participate in team problem solving that will result in providing a consistent high quality product
- To perform additional departmental tasks as assigned by supervisory personnel
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
- Above average problem solving skills necessary to monitor and repair automatic inserting and backline equipment
- Typically requires 1 to 2 years of experience in a high volume production operation, but are open to training willing individuals.
- Requires physical dexterity to lift and move material, must be able to stand for long periods of time and must be able to lift or pile newspaper products that vary in weight from 5 to 50 pounds
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend, use hands to finger, feel and reach with hands and arms
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to change work assignments on short notice and be flexible in scheduling
- Must have computer aptitude
- Position requires working in production areas while forklifts, pallet jacks, inserting and related equipment is in use
- Working in this environment directly results in exposure to paper dust in the air and high noise levels from running equipment
- Must be able to work 10 - 12 hour shifts
- Must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able to wear steel toed safety shoes
- Must be able to wear earplugs
- Must be able to wear safety goggles (if applicable)
Pay: $14.00 per hour