The Virginian-Pilot/Daily Press -- the largest news operation in Virginia, with coverage from Richmond to the Outer Banks of North Carolina -- seeks an experienced journalist with strong writing, reporting, analytical and digital skills to join its editorial board as an opinion writer. A successful applicant must be committed to serving readers by delivering enterprising opinion content with speed, accuracy, fairness and insight. He or she will help us grow audience through engaging and innovative new ways to present opinion content online. Comfort working with multiple publishing platforms and social media is essential.
- Serving as a member of the editorial board, helping evaluate issues and generating ideas that anticipate the flow of the news.
- Producing well-organized editorials that are timely, provocative and help readers understand the issues that are most important to them and their communities.
- Responding quickly to stories that engage our readers to provide more depth and context to the news.
- Developing new and innovative ways of delivering digital content, including opinion videos.
- Engaging our audience online (including social media, video, podcasts and other means), in person and elsewhere to deepen our connections and responsiveness to the community .
A college degree is required. At least two years' experience in daily journalism is preferred.
The Virginian-Pilot/Daily Press is a progressive news operation with a focus on communication and collaboration at all levels. Working with fellow reporters, photographers and senior editors is a typical day on the job. Input and creativity is not just welcome, it's required. In this ever-changing media landscape, a sense of humor also helps.
Back to top