Tribune Publishing, the parent company of the Chicago Tribune and other award winning publications, is seeking a HR Generalist to join our Human Resources team. In this role, you'll be responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level while working closely with senior HR management in order to provide HR guidance and support to internal clients groups at our 2 manufacturing warehouse locations in the Chicagoland area. The role includes employee relations, performance management, onboarding, recruitment/employment, affirmative action, labor relations and employment law compliance in both union and non-union environments.
At Tribune Publishing we continue to drive transformation and help power the future of digital news while promoting award-winning, culture-impacting journalism. If you'd like to directly impact the success of our company (and would like to grow with us, of course), then this may be the job for you!
Tribune Publishing Company (NASDAQ:TPCO) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, Tribune Publishing Company operates local media businesses in eight markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Virginia's Daily Press and The Virginian-Pilot, The Morning Call of Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, and the Hartford Courant.
Tribune Publishing Company also operates Tribune Content Agency and The Daily Meal and is majority owner of BestReviews.
Our brands are committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities. We create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
- Support HR team and internal clients on Human Resource processes, including the following: workforce planning, annual reviews (performance/succession planning), compensation administration, organizational change/effectiveness, implementation of process improvement
- Update the line management team on HR initiatives
- Coach managers on communicating the organizational culture to employees
- Collaborate with Labor Relations staff to ensure appropriate application of company policies and procedures to unionized employees
- Provide quality guidance to managers and employees in all areas of employee relations, performance management/development, recognition, and leadership development that align with business Strategy and HR initiatives
- Provide counsel and guidance to managers regarding company policies and procedures
- Partner with managers and other HR staff to ensure compliance with all employment laws and regulations. Interpret policy and labor law swiftly and accurately in a manner that results in sound recommendations.
- Conduct internal investigations and prepare all required documentation when issues are escalated to human resources
- Investigate and resolve employee issues in a fair and consistent manner. Coach managers when necessary on employee relations resolution and work with corporate attorneys and Labor Relations staff on escalated employee relations issues.
- Handle day-to-day responsibilities and resolve problems/questions from employees with a sense of urgency
- Identify and recommend new opportunities where HR can add value to the business and organizational culture
- Maintain a knowledge of progressive HR practices and key trends
- Assessing employee engagement
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business or related field. Additional experience in lieu of degree.
- 2 - 3+ years of applicable Human Resource experience
- Experience with unionized workforce and partnering with Labor Relations preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience building successful relationships and partnerships at all organizational levels.
- Ability to resolve problems and build consensus given competing priorities and multiple perspectives.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws including ADA, EEO, FMLA, Title VII, wage and hour laws, and benefits; good understanding of Human Resources policies and practices.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications and HRIS & related systems (i.e. Workday, Kronos)
Back to top