Digital Audience Editor
Senior content editors are responsible for assigning, editing and enhancing audience-focused content for multimedia presentation (internet, print, mobile). This includes working directly with reporters, free-lancers, visual journalists and database journalists on content development and execution; editing text and writing compelling headlines, teasers and story summaries; tagging content with appropriate keywords; editing photos and videos, and helping to keep the digital channels updated in a timely manner. They should have a real-time mindset, attacking the news throughout the day, coming up with a continuous stream of fresh angles and new ideas. The senior content editor will be expected to use metrics/analytics to showcase the best-performing content and to inform future coverage choices. Senior content editors work on everything from breaking news to local entertainment to enterprise projects. They program web pages based on audience data and the mission; manage content from outside sources such as wire services; aggregate content or write quick briefs, when necessary; and publish on other platforms such as social media. Content editors must possess initiative, creativity, good news judgment, attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy. Content editors also must be able to multitask and perform well under constant deadlines with only moderate supervision. Senior content editors should be able to nurture reporters and less experienced editors, including those outside their topic area. They should have or develop some combination of a strong command of the English language, understanding of digital trends in SEO, social media and audience metrics, and editing skills that conform to accepted journalistic techniques and the style of the newsroom.t staff editors, reporters, videographer, data analysts and social media editors.
- Being fast and accurate: Always striving to provide readers with what we know, when we know it. Be transparent about sources of information.
- Supervising and working with reporters/video-photographers/data journalists on content development, ensuring the content is fair, balanced and compelling, and presented in the optimum format for a digital audience.
- Managing the website and related digital products: Harness audience data to program, search for and request content, including photo and video, that is of interest to the local audience and maximizes engagement
- Editing articles and graphics for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy; proofreading others' work; and writing headlines, captions and blurbs
- Employing creativity to present all information in easy-to-read, visually appealing, informative and energetic design.
- Making smart, data-driven decisions on story promotion, inclusion and emphasis across all platforms, from sites to apps to email newsletters to social to alerts
- Conceiving, creating, editing or producing various types of content. Depending on department, this may include videos, maps, timelines, multimedia, documents, graphics, galleries, gifs and social aggregations.
- Monitoring wires and internal sources, including other Tribune Online Content sites, for video or video opportunities on breaking news and developing stories.
- Contributing to, optimizing content for or managing social channels, including brand accounts for Twitter and/or Facebook as required.
- Editing photos: pulling photos from wires and other sources; cropping photos for publication, building galleries
- Measuring performance of digital content through audience engagement metrics and helping develop tactics and strategies to build audience
- Employing creativity and independent news judgment to text editing, designing, photo editing, and otherwise preparing work for publication.
- Striving to meet specific individual goals to be assigned on a regular basis by supervisor
- Train and support staffers on how to use and optimize publishing tools
- Manage all personnel on a team, from goal setting to performance evaluation to reward/discipline
Basic foundation skills:
- An imagination and ability to find new ways to tell stories online, as well as basic web, photo and graphics skills
- A team-first work ethic and an ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisor(s), department and newsroom.
- The energy and entrepreneurial spirit to raise the competitive metabolism of the entire newsroom.
- Deep familiarity with online metrics and audience tracking systems.
- Exceptional news judgment and proven ability at carving out distinctive angles on major news events
- Flexibility to work with text, photos and graphics to creating engaging interactive
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation. Ability to write and edit accurately, with clarity, without bias.
- Familiarity with analytics and ability to translate data into tactics and strategies, including ability to use metrics from Chartbeat, Adobe Analytics, social and other tools.
- Knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and other social platforms and ability to develop/follow best practices for social.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to research SEO and appropriately populate fields and headlines.
- An ability to multitask in a deadline-driven environment, and adapt constructively to change
- Personal or professional experience using web-based social networks is preferred, or must become adept at using them
- Adherence to the tronc and editorial codes of ethics.
- Maintaining up-to-date skills on various digital platforms and keeping abreast of current events and newsmakers in news, sports and pop culture.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
Interacts daily with other reporters, video/photographers, data journalists, other newsroom editors, and occasionally central and market teams. Managing own time and directing his or herself with minimal to moderate supervision most of the day. Interacting briefly with supervisors several times during the day to discuss play, coverage and assignments.
A minimum of five years reporting or editing experience at a news publication or web site; knowledge and acceptance of the company's mission and strategy; excellent command of verbal and written English. Must be able and willing to work irregular hours and holidays as necessary, and must be familiar with computers and software, including Internet software.
Back to top