Solid editorial news judgment will be used to make decisions on deadline regarding typography, story and photo placement, and headline hierarchy. The copy editor will write headlines and trim stories, as well as work with editors and page designers to enhance visual presentation.
The copy editor's main responsibilities will include line editing along with writing captions and snappy headlines for print that will catch readers eyes. Editors should have a strong command of the English language and editing skills that conform to accepted journalistic techniques.
Successful editors will possess initiative, good news judgment, attention to detail, incredible organizational skills and a commitment to accuracy. Designers and editors must be able to multitask and perform well under constant deadlines with minimal-to-moderate supervision
Depending on the team's needs, an editor's main responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Being fast and accurate: Always striving to provide readers with what we know, when we know it.
- Using stellar news judgment to make decisions about national, foreign and features content print edition.
- Editing content and designing modules using the paper's computer production system.
- Employing dynamic news judgment and ethical guidelines to select and edit a wide range of stories and photos.
- Meeting production deadlines and maintaining ideal page flow under minimal to moderate supervision.
- Employing creativity and independent news judgment to text editing and otherwise preparing work for publication.
- A minimum of two years editing at a news publication.
- Excellent knowledge of AP Style.
- Experience writing strong, accurate and snappy print headlines.
- Good organizational skills and news judgment.
- Ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to foster excellent communication and collaboration with peers, and supervisor(s).
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Ability to write and edit accurately - with clarity, without bias.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Familiarity with computers and text editing software.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
Meet Some of Tribune Publishing's Employees
Lynette W.Media Sales Executive
Lynette partners with local companies to reach their business goals through strategic advertising solutions. Based on these goals, she recommends the best solution, whether that be digital, print, or a hosted event.
Back to top