Unix Support Engineer
Summary - Applications Support Level 1 technician provides first level of support to production applications. Key tasks include monitoring, triage, notification and Incident management.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitor production applications proactively to ensure the management mandated goal of 99.9% uptime. This would include monitoring and reporting out of normal pattern in the exceptions seen in all production applications.
• Monitor and manage offline batch processes
• Adhere to outage escalation process outlined by various runbooks
• Perform on-demand health checks and production validation per runbooks
• Ensure appropriate stakeholders are notified of any production impacting incidents
• 2-5 years' experience in a medium to large scale application support role
• Hands-on experience in Linux/ Unix environment with good knowledge of basic Linux/Unix commands
• Experience supporting & using web applications
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Conflict management and resolution skills
• Ability to learn new technologies
• Working knowledge of some relevant devices/systems
• Performs basic analysis that follows practices and policies within their department.
• Develops solutions to routine problems of limited scope.
• Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects.
• Maximize system availability through proactive monitoring to identify problems before they occur
• Evaluates system failures to find a root cause and determine step to resolve the issue.
• Coordinates with Infrastructure and Support teams to evaluate course of action to resolve problems
• Participate in communication with second level support teams to provide relevant information to make business decisions
• Work with Development teams to deploy new releases of internally built code, scripts and models
• Validate applications are functioning after hardware upgrades
• Assist business users with application questions and issues
• Create and maintain Knowledge Articles for supporting multiple Applications
• Document all actions taken to resolve system failure in Tickets
• Fundamental knowledge of basic work routines and standards.
Desired Skill Sets
• Incident Management Process
• Incident Notification Process
• Incident Escalation Process (Partners & Vendors)
• Crisis Connect
• Linux fundamentals
• Autosys fundamentals
• Tidal & Splunk Fundamentals
• MS Office Fundamentals
Back to top