Sr. Director, Data Acquisition (Public Records)
Dynamics of the Role
Reportingto the company's GM and/or SVP, the Sr. Director of Data Acquisition (DA) is responsiblefor the creation, planning, development, and execution of the company's short-termand long-term data acquisition strategy.
The Sr. Director will all also develop and create a one-year and three-year tactical plan tosupport the overall DA strategy and will also implement industry best practicesto ensure an operationally efficient data acquisition environment. He or she will work closely with the Product,Data Management, and Technology teams to achieve the company's overarching dataacquisition and availability objectives.
Thisleader is responsible for leading their team in the acquisition and onboardingof public court records, working closely with clients and internal groupsto support customer requests and issues through consultation, analysis, andexecution. This leader must demonstrate capabilities in the following keyfunctions:
- Deep strategicdomain experience in the collection of public record data and/or DMVdata. Ability to identify primarily, secondary and tertiary data sourceoptions for each state
- Experiencenegotiating data source contract terms and conditions
- Lobbyingexperience, even if informal, is a big plus. Ability to direct andcoordinate external resources for lobbying actions
- Thoroughknowledge of the Freedom of Information Act, DPPA, FCRA and GLBA and of federalprivacy laws and state nuances of these laws. A big plus if thisindividual has an established network that could be leveraged. Assesslegislative and competitive risk for each production source
- Experience withany of our key competitors (LN, Verisk, AudaExplore, etc.) would be ideal
How You'll Contribute:
- Maintaining a deep legal and regulatory awareness of public record data
- Ensuring appropriate use of data sources
- Participation in the exploration of alternative markets (priority andexploratory)
- Supporting data collection efforts for adjacent markets
- Driving to a national coverage footprint
- Identify data that can be used in the creation of new products
- Lead and collaborate with other leaders and internal data suppliers(SRG) developing new ways to leverage and analyze data
- Oversee the research and pursues suppliers of traffic violation andcriminal data in both the government and commercial sectors, in an effort toacquire core data; arranges meetings, presentations and follows up withsuppliers
- Finalizes all required contracts and purchase orders and obtainsdatasets
- Oversee the Data Acquisition team on their non-sourcing tasks: Tracking,data entry, follow-up and administration related to the supplier managementsystems
- Ensures and maintains all supplier information into customerrelationship management (Salesforce.com) system; provides reports asneeded
- Monitors information and communication stream from and to the DataAcquisition team
- Coordinates with Product and Data Management teams with regard toingestion of acquired data in order to build or enhance DHI offerings
- Coordinates email, mailing and marketing campaigns to approach possiblesuppliers if needed; utilize SWOT analysis to compare suppliers
- On boards traffic, criminal and alternative data sources
- Monitors statistical data to ensure data quality
- Ensures full data coverage in existing and new locations (dataquantity and quality)
- Identification of all data sources/partners
- Planning and execution of the company's data partnering agendafrom both direct sources and third party partners
- Contracting with data sources/partners
- Prioritization of target sources/partners
- Ensure execution of acquisition of key data components from alldata sources
- Service and maintain relationships with data sources/partners
- Building and managing a data acquisition team-as needed
What You'll Bring:
- Outstanding written and oralcommunication skills
- Outstanding presentation skills
- This position leads one or more divisions and/or or actsas second level executive of a small tomedium business unit. Formulates the vision and strategies for asignificant portion of the organization. Typically has (Sr.) Directorsreporting to them. Requires ability to influence others to acceptpractices and approaches, and ability to communicate and influence executive leadership
- Develops the implementation of mid-termstrategic business plans for one or more divisions in support of long termstrategy.
- Directly influence development of newproducts, processes, standards or operational plans in support of businessstrategies for one or more divisions. Decisions have major and measurablemid-term impact on the success, failure, profitability and growth.
- Manages communications for one or moredivisions through discussions and compromise. Issues are mid-term and strategicin nature.
- Analyze complex issues andsignificantly improve, change or adapt existing methods and techniques in owndivision(s).
- Manages and leads one or more divisionsthrough expertise in most or all areas within a function. Directs more than oneteam; determines team structure and roles of members.
- 15 years relevant experience,including mastery within a specific technical or broad expertise acrossmultiple related disciplines
Who We Are:
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Senior Technical Project Manager
Patrick oversees many projects that are in development within the TransUnion walls. He’s responsible for determining what projects should be running and when they should be finished.
Back to top