Software Development Engineer in Test
Dynamics of the Role:
The Software Quality Engineer Sr. is responsible for writing and executing both white and black box tests for software and platforms supported by the organization. This position will also be involved in creating and reviewing test plans, test scenarios, and test cases as required. Performing both self-review of results/artifacts and peer review of preparation and execution documents assuring thorough coverage will be required. This position may also mentor other team members and supervise their efforts or assignments. Analysis of tools and processes may be required, as requested, along with recommendations for the same. This position will be focused on the technical aspects of the Quality Assurance team, but may be called upon to perform other Quality Assurance tasks, as needed, including gathering and generating metrics and reporting.
How you’ll Contribute:
- Test Case Writing & Execution; Liaison with Development while facilitating QA Turnover – 40%:
- Primarily focused on writing automated tests for white box testing of software and platforms as well as black box testing of new requirements and any production software or system/platform changes.
- Consistently checks the quality of these tests results for overall accuracy and tracks any discrepancies to closure.
- Makes efficiency improvements based on best practices or alternatives identified and approved.
- Position will be the liaison with Development to facilitate QA turnover for accurate understanding and identification of the changes and testing requirements while recognizing and identifying related risk.
- Test Case Review 20%:
- Reviews and ensures automated tests are accurate and complete based upon end-to-end application or system functionality, UI, reports/exports, and interfaces.
- Seeks out the guidance from management for complex testing solutions and risk coverage.
- Conducts requirements reviews and assures traceability to automated and manual tests.
- Analyzes design and technical documents for assessing test coverage and overall changes.
- Performs audits to verify SDLC (and related standards/processes) adherence, such as code reviews, OWASP Top 10 Security Risks and organizational coding processes.
- Test Case Coverage 10%:
- Assures end-to-end diagrams of existing applications and interfaces are accurate based upon updates incurred, and assures maximum test coverage.
- Effectively documents any problems resulting from the testing of software application systems.
- Ensures that all problems are communicated to all members of the project team including programmers, project managers, and/or quality assurance staff.
- Provides further documentation to note how and when problems were resolved.
- Works toward assuring problem resolution is acceptable and will not be repeated in future releases.
- Makes Recommendations 20%:
- Advises the QA Manager of testing results and findings.
- Make recommendations for improvements in testing, standards, and solutions for improved software functionality.
- Other – 10%
- Investigates and, as appropriate, implements usage of tools to improve performance and efficiency. This may include test coverage measurement tools and static analysis tools.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or a combination of work and educational experience that demonstrates experience independently testing application software systems, in addition to being able to serve as a technical advisor.
- 3-6 years of direct experience functioning in a software engineering environment and demonstrate experience or ability at effectively implementing white and black box testing strategies, focused on automation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present technical ideas and terminology to people without a strong technical background.
- Be able to function independently and as a team member.
- Financial systems knowledge is a plus.
- Incumbents should be familiar with these languages, protocols, and technologies:
- OOP and Web Applications, i.e., Java, JSP, NET 4.0 Framework
- Automated Testing Frameworks, i.e., Selenium Robot; AppliTools
- HTML and CSS,
- SOAP ReadyAPI; LOAD UI
- Test coverage analysis tools
- Static analysis tools
- Software/System performance testing tools / analysis
- OWASP (security and vulnerability concepts/coverage)
- Jenkins; Continuous Testing platform/tools
- Visual Studio / Team Explorer
Who We Are
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, veteran status, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Technical Systems Engineer
TC’s main responsibility is to make sure all of the TransUnion Windows-based systems, across every office, are fully operational and available at all times.
Back to top