Senior Lead-Application Development
Senior Lead-Application Development (Burlington, ON)
What We Offer
TransUnion believes in investing in the best people. Our dynamic and diverse environment values and promotes the growth of associates in their jobs, roles and careers. Our organization supports ambitious individuals who seek career satisfaction and development.
Who We Are
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
What you will do
The Application Development Senior Team Lead role, in the Application Development Team, will focus on cultivating their teams to deliver solutions using JEE and Java Web applications across the TransUnion enterprise. This position will work with experienced professionals to help drive these solutions to provide a best in industry standard for quality, innovation, and efficiency.
Application Development supports TransUnion's business and consumer systems by improving the efficiency of business operations, applications and operating systems. Flexibility and openness are valued in our entrepreneurial, business-casual environment. We appreciate quick-learning IT professionals with inner drive, a strong work ethic and a desire to grow.
- Drive execution of key initiatives through leadership of a development team, crucial to the company's success
- Interact and work with a dynamic group of skilled professions in the business
- Contribute to the global TransUnion body of knowledge and assets
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical leadership to applications/systems development teams to deliver major projects & solutions. Utilizing extensive knowledge of multiple technologies and platforms, provide technical design recommendations based on long-term IT organizational strategy and evolution of technology.
- Development Standards: Success in building strong relationships in an Agile environment. Contributes to the improvement of the software development lifecycle ensuring the teams' adherence to standards set by the Centers of Excellence. Ensure that Continuous Improvement practices are adhered to. Participate in peer-code reviews looking for areas of improvement.
- Mentoring: Takes responsibility for personal and project teams' technical and professional growth. Serves as a technical resource providing guidance and advice to project team members on technology and designing effective solutions. Provides technical assistance and follow through to team members on complex problems. Review design and development work, instructing team members as needed. Proven ability to manage people and their career growth.
- Analysis/Design: Analyze high level requirements and apply knowledge of business needs and technical architecture to determine appropriate course of action.
- Business Knowledge: Assist in defining high level requirements. Ensure the understanding of how a solution will be delivered working with the Architecture team. Bridge the current technical capabilities with the business strategy of the organization. Evaluate possible implementation of new technology, consistent with the goal of improving existing systems and technologies and in meeting the needs of the business.
- Technology Knowledge: Maintain a strong knowledge of IT systems and architectures. Ensure the team skills and capabilities are current.
- Communication & Leadership: Provides input to leadership peers, management and liaises with Project Management Office for recommendations and alternate solutions and/or improvements.
- Conveys and ensures the understanding of technical strategies and vision. Conveys problems, solutions, updates and project status to their peers, customers and management.
- Provides feedback on team and individual performance against established assignments. Participates in hiring process, conducts technical interviews, contributes to overall evaluation of candidates and makes recommendations for hiring.
- Oversees a team comprised of onshore, near-shore and offshore associates in regards to associate development, time-tracking and forecasting.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you will bring
- 3 years of experience in leading a dynamic development team distributed locally and across the globe
- 8 years of J2EE and Java Web development experience
- Experience with modern Java frameworks, including Spring, Angular, Node, Site Mesh, Hibernate, etc.
- Experience within the Credit Reporting Services or Financial industry
- Focused work ethic, with openness and drive to explore new ideas and technologies
- Extensive experience in leading a technical development group from the ground.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to provide alternative solutions to technical problems
- Fluency in SQL and Unix-based file systems
- Good understanding of theories, methodologies and principals underlying software development.
- Excellent analysis and problem resolution skills.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
- Broad and in-depth technology skills including Java, relational databases, ETL tools, Windows and Linux servers, networking
- Excellent documentation skills
- Knowledge of Mercurial, Jenkins, Artifactory, Rhodecode, Sonar
- Knowledge of HP ALM and CA Agile Central
- Familiarity with Big Data Technology (Ab Initio/HADOOP) is a bonus.
- Knowledge of team migration into SCRUM (nice to have)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Accommodation is available, including for applicants with disabilities, in accordance with applicable laws.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Sheri heads up the Strategic Sales Team for the Insurance Division of TransUnion, assisting teams in providing data models and analytic solutions to company clients around the country and beyond.
Back to top