Manager of Distributed Storage Team
Distributed Storage Manager
The principal function of the Enterprise Storage Manager position is to plan and manage the installation, configuration and tuning of SAN and storage hardware and software including DR appliances according to best practices. The Enterprise Storage Manager must ensure high levels of data security, integrity, quality and availability for the enterprise. Storage devices include, but are not limited to, EMC, NetApp, IBM, Hitachi, Cisco and other industry-standard SAN storage devices.
Performs an important function in the operation of the Infrastructure organization by building central database systems that house crucial information pertaining to such areas as Batch, Compliance, Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Legal and other key areas. Uses a variety of software tools and work with a diverse range of hardware components to accomplish those objectives. Included as routine duties, he/she analyzes data, determines key requirements to store and access that data, and communicates that information to clients or management. Thereafter, using cost-effective strategies, plans and designs storage systems, both for temporary use and to meet long-term data storage needs. The position involves problem solving, making decisions, and applying knowledge in computer science, engineering and information technology.
This position works closely with other IT team members along with external vendors to design optimal storage solutions, identify storage needs, and guide the design and installation process. Upon completion of installation, responsibilities include testing the system, evaluating its usage and monitoring the system to mitigate potential problems. When necessary, specifies and oversees changes to further optimize the solution based on usage patterns and requirements. Duties and technical issues may sometimes require extended work hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Demonstrated working proficiency in SAN fabric management (ISLs, utilization, zoning, masking, etc.)Knowledge with SAN hardware and software for HDS (Hitachi), Cisco and/or Brocade fabric architectures.
- Administer hardware components specifically focused on HDS, but may also include NetApp, HP, 3PAR, EMC or other future technologies.
- Advanced skills: Familiar with all storage systems and backup environments, particularly IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM), Veeam and EMC Recovery Manager (CDP).
- Interpret storage protocols including iSCSI, Fiber Channel, CIFS, NFS, NDMP protocols and hardware which use these products.
- Maintain partnerships and leverage market technologies associated with SAN vendors, product enhancements and product roadmaps to determine how they can be beneficially applied to the overall corporate landscape.
- Maintain current knowledge of storage-related trends and issues including current emerging technologies and best practices.
- Provide capacity planning, performance analysis, assist with disaster recovery plan documentation updates and testing, lead efforts towards storage consolidation and identify storage growth, manage configurations of storage media and storage management software.
- Provide technical expertise, guidance and strategic recommendations to develop a roadmap that ensures that the current and planned technical backup solutions are compatible with the company’s business needs and strategic objectives.
- Develop, implement and oversee policies and procedures to ensure consistent storage provisioning, uptime, regulatory compliance and data protection.
- Willingness to manage a storage and backup environment with business-critical uptime which will include after hours and weekend work as necessary.
- Ensure all corporate Oracle and SQL Server database servers are backed up in a way that meets the company’s Recovery Point Objectives (RPO).
- Test backups to ensure they meet the company’s Recovery Time Objectives (RTO).
- As new systems are brought in-house, choose whether to use clustering, log shipping, mirroring or other technologies for data protection purposes.
- Install and configure new SQL Server instances as necessary.When performance issues arise, work with application owners to determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes.
- Document the company’s database environments.
- Extensive experience in design and documentation of backup/restore strategies via enterprise class backup solutions such as IBM TSM and automated tape library systems.
- Supporting storage in a Vmware virtualization environment.
- Manage and provide current disk/tape storage usage statistics, provide future projected growth estimates.
- Ability to plan, document and effectively implement projects and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment with many deadlines and competing priorities.
- Experience with data replication, snap shots and virtualization technology.
- Knowledge of networking, routing and switching technologies.
- Working knowledge of Red Hat Linux and Microsoft Windows Server administration.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field (such as Computer Science or MIS), and at least seven years’ related experience, to include five years with SAN storage technology and five years with Microsoft SQL Server; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years’ experience with planning, designing, configuration and support of large enterprise SAN environments.
- 3 years with EMC, NetApp, IBM, Hitachi or similar enterprise-class SAN Storage technologies.
- 3 years performing capacity planning, performance analysis and development/testing of data disaster recovery plans.
- Able to communicate clearly with peers as well as management.
- Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as work well in groups and collaborate effectively in storage/system design.
- Flexibility to adjust to changing requirements, schedules and priorities.
- The ability to socialize ideas, make recommendations and gather team consensus to move forward.
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate verbally and in writing with customers, associates, vendors, and management.
- Strong project management skills, with experience in organizing, planning, and executing projects from vision through implementation, involving internal personnel, contractors and vendors; ability to analyze project needs and determine resources needed to meet objectives.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
What We Offer
We aim high — and are reaching for new heights every day. This is a terrific time to join our team as we build on our commitment to integrity, service, reliability and innovation. These values stand behind the decisions we make every day, as well as our relationships at work and with the customers we serve. We believe in the power to achieve and are taking it in bold new directions.
Who We Are
Information is a powerful thing. At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding innovative ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information.
Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find new ways information can be used for good. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Technical Systems Engineer
TC’s main responsibility is to make sure all of the TransUnion Windows-based systems, across every office, are fully operational and available at all times.
Back to top