Lead Network Engineer
At Transunion, we know that finding the right people is the reason we're a global leader in credit information and information management services. We strive to provide an environment that allows our talented people to find success and satisfaction. Now, we're adding to the team and seeking a Network Engineer Lead.
What we need:
Transunion works with businesses and consumers to gather, analyze, and deliver critical information needed to build strong economies around the world. We help >45,000 businesses manage risk, and 500 million consumers understand and manage credit.
To do this, we rely on a network infrastructure that's critical to the business. As our Network Engineer Lead, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and support of Transunion's Global Network. You will provide technical thought leadership for voice and data networks, define, maintain, communicate, and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy.
Who you'll work with:
In this critical role, you will collaborate with senior leadership to develop IT strategy that aligns to business strategy. You'll be responsible for working with different business units to develop the engineering design that supports the business and operational requirements for new and existing systems.
As part of playing a leading role in strategy, design and support, you will also mentor junior level engineers as well as provide second level support for complex issues, problems or projects.
What we expect:
As Network Engineer Lead, you'll need to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with occasional conflicting priorities. You must have the drive and skills to make the best decisions that align with the business and the company's objectives.
Key responsibilities span 4 areas:
- Creates engineering design to meet the business and operational objectives for business continuity solutions.
- Defines standard engineering designs, templates, processes, and procedures for implementing projects that follow existing Transunion architectures for large complex projects.
- Defines new engineering designs, templates, processes and procedures for implementing projects that require new architecture patterns.
- Proactively utilizes knowledge of the business unit and objectives to maximize the efficiency of the design.
Assessment and Strategy
- Provides subject matter expertise to maintain the appropriate lifecycle for the technologies in scope, including technology risk, refresh, migration and retirement.
- Analyzes system performance, modifying parameters to improve throughput and effectively utilize system resources.
- Monitors resource usage, making required adjustments.
- Responsible for accurately estimating and planning activities within the domain to provide the necessary input into the project managers for developing an end to end plan.
- Establishes and maintains strong collaborative relationships with internal and external strategic partners as well as critical IT infrastructure service providers. With administrative direction, leads the evaluation and selection of tools.
- Evaluates tools and makes cost-conscience tool recommendations.
- Identifies key areas for improvement to align to strategic objectives.
- Analyzes industry best practices and previous project executions
- Make recommendations in regards to architecture and infrastructure planning to leadership to refine and enhance current methodology.
- Resolves issues related to the coordination, control, design, support, and operation of specialized components of a network whether data, voice or video such as Local Area Networks (LANs), Wide Area Networks (WANs), and voice systems.
- Plans, configures, tests, maintains, troubleshoots and tunes network infrastructure such as routers, switches, gateways, firewall systems, multi-function switches, virtual private networks and network security devices.
- Leads resolution of issues related to the coordination, control, design, support, and operation of specialized components of a network whether data, Local Area Networks (LANs), Wide Area Networks (WANs), and wireless.
- Participate in and/or lead projects of medium to high complexity.
- Leads on-call production support activities, using the technical knowledge and capability to handle all problems that may arise.
- Proactively puts procedures in place to prevent and reduce the severity of outages.
- Oversees or performs the installation and testing of upgrades working with the systems and applications teams.
- Conducts updates of management information systems, including asset management, time tracking and other systems.
- Available to be on call 24/7 on a team rotating schedule once assimilated into the team.
- Mentors junior team members on current standards and best practices
- Provides quality assurance for engineering designs of junior team members
- Assists in training and coaching others
- Sets up training classes and may function as a tool administrator, working with the vendor, internally coordinating product upgrades and fixes.
- Responsible for developing the organization by mentoring junior engineers and developing "how to" guides.
What you'll bring
As Network Engineer Lead, you should have 9 year's progressive data communications experience, and a Bachelor's Degree in a related technical field or similar discipline. In addition, you should have expertise and experience in technical and professional areas.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, management information systems, or related field preferred. Equivalent work experience may be substituted.
- 7 years of experience of design, implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of large, complex IP-based networks.
- 7 years of experience in Network Capacity Planning, Performance. Monitoring/Management and Network Design Architecture.
- 7 years of experience in routing protocols like (OSPF, BGP, EIGRP, VRRP, IP, HSRP, MPLS, BGP for dual ISP, etc. protocols) and set up load balancing using BGP for dual ISP
- 7 years of experience with layer-2, layer-3, and/or layer-4 network protocols and technologies, TCP, UDP, HTTP/HTTPS, REST, SOAP, NFSv4.x, SMB
- Experience designing, configuring, and deploying network switches/routers. Including expertise in QoS/CoS, traffic shaping and bandwidth throttling.
- Advanced knowledge for the implementation and support of Quality-of-Service (QoS), and MPLS-based networks is required. Voice-over-IP (VoIP) a plus.
- Strong understanding of Cisco routers and switches in a corporate infrastructure
- Strong understanding of network security practices and tools. Network Security (firewall policies, rules, best practices, VPN, IPSEC, GETVPN)
- Experience working with telecommunications companies
- Experience with Network Analysis tools including Sniffer and Net scout are required
- F5 experience preferred.
- Cisco CCIE preferred.
- Basic UNIX shell scripting skills a plus (required for configuration and monitoring activities)
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; able to communicate effectively with associates at all levels.
- Ability to effectively summarize and clearly communicate infrastructure hardware/software problems involving multiple support team(s).
- Ability to manage concurrent projects to plan.
- Organized, able to lead, follow through and complete projects with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated and adaptable to change; able to work productively in a team setting.
- Must be able to prioritize and manage time effectively as well as function with no supervision, under tight deadlines, and demonstrate initiative in problem solving
- Demonstrate ability to execute and perform timely follow-up to ensure customer satisfaction
- Demonstrate competency in the use of project management tools and methodologies.
- Ability to instill quality in every aspect of the job function.
Who We Are
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Sheri heads up the Strategic Sales Team for the Insurance Division of TransUnion, assisting teams in providing data models and analytic solutions to company clients around the country and beyond.
Back to top