Lead Linux Engineer
TransUnion works with businesses and consumers to gather, analyze, and deliver critical information needed to build strong economies around the world. We help 45,000 businesses manage risk, and 500 million consumers understand and manage credit.
To do this, we rely on a server infrastructure that’s critical to the business. As our Linux Lead Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and support of the Enterprise Linux server infrastructure for the corporate campus in Chicago and field locations around the country. You will define, maintain, communicate, and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy.
This position provides engineering and support for all of TransUnion’s revenue-generating systems and services. You will proactively ensure stable, dependable application/systems across the Linux environment. You will participate within our cloud strategy, new technologies being investigated, and you will have a direct impact on future enhancements impacting the environment. You will ensure the high availability of applications/systems by collaborating with various operations teams such as application, network, database, and storage. You will work with development teams to ensure the operational readiness and supportability of pending changes. You will maintain and utilize various monitoring tools to identify faults and ensure their timely resolution to avert any stability issues.
- The Lead Linux Engineer provides operational support, project delivery and other system administration responsibilities as required by the business.
- The Lead Linux Engineer understands overall departmental and business unit goals and how existing programs/products/processes are designed to support these goals.
- Provides solutions to a wide range of difficult problems, balancing technical viability with business requirements and constraints.
- The lead Linux engineer requires limited supervision: No instructions needed on routine work, and general instructions given on new lines of work or special assignments.
- Guides the successful completion of major initiatives that impact cross-functional teams within their department.
- Provides technical leadership for systems on cross-functional incident resolution teams.
- Provides technical leadership and guidance to junior administrators
- Broad knowledge of Systems technologies and industry trends with subject matter specialization in Linux systems administration or advanced knowledge of specific practices.
- Able to successfully contribute in cross-functional teams containing a mixture of technical and non-technical peers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of scripting technologies using bash, Perl, Python (preferred), and similar tools.
- Demonstrated background in Linux system administration automation.
- Extensive experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6/7 required
- Some experience with Docker required
- Administrative exposure to the following technologies would be helpful: Puppet, Red Hat Satellite Server, IBM GPFS, Splunk, and ITIL.
- Experience in a large environment (> 500 hosts) with 24×7 support requirements.
What We Offer
We aim high — and are reaching for new heights every day. This is a terrific time to join our team as we build on our commitment to integrity, service, reliability and innovation. These values stand behind the decisions we make every day, as well as our relationships at work and with the customers we serve. We believe in the power to achieve and are taking it in bold new directions.
Who We Are
Information is a powerful thing. At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding innovative ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information.
Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find new ways information can be used for good. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Technical Systems Engineer
TC’s main responsibility is to make sure all of the TransUnion Windows-based systems, across every office, are fully operational and available at all times.
Back to top