Lead Linux Engineer
Lead Linux Engineer
TransUnion works with businesses and consumers to gather, analyze, and deliver critical information needed to build strong economies around the world. We help 45,000 businesses manage risk, and 500 million consumers understand and manage credit.
To do this, we rely on a server infrastructure that's critical to the business. As our Linux Lead Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and support of the Enterprise Linux server infrastructure for the corporate campus in Chicago and field locations around the country. You will define, maintain, communicate, and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy.
This position provides engineering and support for all of TransUnion's revenue-generating systems and services. You will proactively ensure stable, dependable application/systems across the Linux environment. You will participate within our cloud strategy, new technologies being investigated, and you will have a direct impact on future enhancements impacting the environment. You will ensure the high availability of applications/systems by collaborating with various operations teams such as application, network, database, and storage. You will work with development teams to ensure the operational readiness and supportability of pending changes. You will maintain and utilize various monitoring tools to identify faults and ensure their timely resolution to avert any stability issues.
How You'll Contribute:
- The Lead Linux Engineer provides operational support, project delivery and other system administration responsibilities as required by the business.
- The Lead Linux Engineer understands overall departmental and business unit goals and how existing programs/products/processes are designed to support these goals.
- Provides solutions to a wide range of difficult problems, balancing technical viability with business requirements and constraints.
- Assist in the design, planning and implementation of server and cloud solutions
- The lead Linux engineer requires limited supervision: No instructions needed on routine work, and general instructions given on new lines of work or special assignments.
- Guides the successful completion of major initiatives that impact cross-functional teams within their department.
- Provides technical leadership for systems on cross-functional incident resolution teams.
- Provides technical leadership and guidance to junior administrators
What You'll Bring:
- Broad knowledge of Systems technologies and industry trends with subject matter specialization in Linux systems administration or advanced knowledge of specific practices.
- Able to successfully contribute in cross-functional teams containing a mixture of technical and non-technical peers.
- Extensive experience with installing, configuring and maintaining systems with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6/7 required
- Demonstrated knowledge of scripting technologies using BASH and Python (preferred), and similar tools.
- Demonstrated background in Linux system administration automation.
- Some experience with Docker is required.
- Administrative exposure to the following technologies would be helpful: Puppet, Red Hat Satellite Server, IBM GPFS, Splunk, and ITIL.
- Experience in a large environment (> 500 hosts) with 24x7 support requirements.
- Experience with administration or implementation in AWS public cloud and on-prem private cloud technologies like OpenStack is a great plus.
- Experience with container orchestration platforms (Kubernetes, OpenShift and others) is a plus
Who We Are
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Sheri heads up the Strategic Sales Team for the Insurance Division of TransUnion, assisting teams in providing data models and analytic solutions to company clients around the country and beyond.
Back to top