Lead DNS Network Engineer
At Transunion, we know that finding the right people is the reason we're a global leader in credit information and information management services. We strive to provide an environment that allows our talented people to find success and satisfaction. Now, we're adding to the team and seeking a Network Engineer Lead.
What we need:
Transunion works with businesses and consumers to gather, analyze, and deliver critical information needed to build strong economies around the world. We help >45,000 businesses manage risk, and 500 million consumers understand and manage credit. To do this, we rely on a network infrastructure that's critical to the business. As our Network Engineer Lead, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and support of Transunion's Global DNS, DHCP, and IPAM strategy. You will provide technical thought leadership for voice and data networks, define, maintain, communicate, and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy.
Who you'll work with:
In this critical role, you will collaborate with senior leadership to develop IT strategy that aligns to business strategy. You'll be responsible for working with different business units to develop the engineering design that supports the business and operational requirements for new and existing systems. As part of playing a leading role in strategy, design and support, you will also mentor other engineers as well as provide second level support for complex issues, problems or projects.
What we expect:
As Lead Network Engineer (DDI), you'll need to manage multiple efforts simultaneously, with occasional conflicting priorities. You must have the drive and skills to make the best decisions that align with the business and the company's objectives. The Lead Engineer will be the SME for an Enterprise Wide DDI deployment and will set the tone for the DDI deployment as well as manage all operational efforts. The engineer will support a large Global DDI environment and should have a strong understanding of the entire network and architecture. Work with other teams to create engineering standards and operational support models. Stays informed in current industry for trends and emerging technologies to evaluate future opportunities for DDI infrastructure. A very strong understanding of BIND/DNS is required for this position. Exposure to Network Technologies, F5 Technologies, or scripting is a plus.
Key responsibilities span 4 areas:
- Creates engineering design to meet the business and operational objectives for business continuity solutions.
- Defines standard engineering designs, templates, processes, and procedures for implementing projects that follow existing Transunion architectures for large complex projects.
- Defines new engineering designs, templates, processes and procedures for implementing projects that require new architecture patterns.
- Proactively utilizes knowledge of the business unit and objectives to maximize the efficiency of the design.
- Assessment and Strategy:
- Lead the DNS efforts by working with the DNS Engineering Team
- Architect DNS, DHCP, and IPAM infrastructure including maintenance, code upgrades, and scheduled monitoring
- Provides subject matter expertise to maintain the appropriate lifecycle for the technologies in scope, including technology risk, refresh, migration and retirement.
- Analyzes system performance, modifying parameters to improve throughput and effectively utilize system resources.
- Monitors resource usage, making required adjustments.
- Responsible for accurately estimating and planning activities within the domain to provide the necessary input into the project managers for developing an end to end plan.
- Establishes and maintains strong collaborative relationships with internal and external strategic partners as well as critical IT infrastructure service providers. With administrative direction, leads the evaluation and selection of tools.
- Evaluates tools and makes cost-conscience tool recommendations.
- Identifies key areas for improvement to align to strategic objectives.
- Analyzes industry best practices and previous project executions
- Make recommendations in regards to architecture and infrastructure planning to leadership to refine and enhance current methodology.
- Primary owner of DDI (DNS, DHCP, IPAM) infrastructure.
- Provide Tier 3 Operational support for all DDI infrastructure including staging, installing, configuring, troubleshooting, and documenting the current infrastructure
- Manage scheduling and Patching cycle for all DDI infrastructure as well as providing software and hardware roadmaps
- Perform preventative maintenance, including the installation of hot fixes and version upgrades.
- Participate in and/or lead projects of medium to high complexity.
- Leads on-call production support activities, using the technical knowledge and capability to handle all problems that may arise.
- Proactively puts procedures in place to prevent and reduce the severity of outages.
- Oversees or performs the installation and testing of upgrades working with the systems and applications teams.
- Conducts updates of management information systems, including asset management, time tracking and other systems.
- Available to provide Tier 3 support once assimilated into the team.
- Mentors junior team members on current standards and best practices
- Provides quality assurance for engineering designs of junior team members
- Assists in training and coaching others
- Sets up training classes and may function as a tool administrator, working with the vendor, internally coordinating product upgrades and fixes.
- Responsible for developing the organization by mentoring junior engineers and developing "how to" guides.
What you'll bring:
As Network Engineer Lead, you must have at least 3 years' experience supporting Infoblox and must have 5-7 years' experience as Lead DDI Engineer. The candidate should also have exposure to Network Technologies, exposure to F5 is plus. 9 year's progressive data communications experience, and a Bachelor's Degree in a related technical field or similar discipline. In addition, you should have expertise and experience in technical and professional areas.
- Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- 3 years supporting Infoblox or similar DNS deployments with a very strong understanding of BIND
- 5 years of experience of design, implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of large DDI network consisting of WAN, LAN, ASAs and VPNs.
- 5 years of experience in routing protocols like (OSPF, BGP, EIGRP, VRRP, IP, HSRP, BGP for dual ISP, etc. protocols) and set up load balancing using BGP for dual ISP
- 5 years of experience with layer-2, layer-3, and/or layer-4 network protocols and technologies, TCP, UDP, HTTP/HTTPS, REST, SOAP, NFSv4.x, SMB
- Experience of working with BIG-IP LTM, GTM, and Viprions is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; able to communicate effectively with associates at all levels.
- Ability to effectively summarize and clearly communicate infrastructure hardware/software problems involving multiple support team(s).
- Ability to manage concurrent projects to plan.
- Organized, able to lead, follow through and complete projects with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated and adaptable to change; able to work productively in a team setting.
- Must be able to prioritize and manage time effectively as well as function with no supervision, under tight deadlines, and demonstrate initiative in problem solving
- Demonstrate ability to execute and perform timely follow-up to ensure customer satisfaction
- Demonstrate competency in the use of project management tools and methodologies.
- Ability to instill quality in every aspect of the job function.
Who We Are
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Sheri heads up the Strategic Sales Team for the Insurance Division of TransUnion, assisting teams in providing data models and analytic solutions to company clients around the country and beyond.
Back to top