Lead Ab Initio Developer
Dynamics of the Role
TransUnion is seeking applications for a technical leadership position in the Ab Initio practice. TransUnion is Ab Initio's 3rd customer and leverages Ab Initio as the foundational application development platform across all of our major products. We build high performance applications using the latest versions of the Ab Initio products across multiple offices and business in the US as well as abroad. This roll will serve as a best practice technologist that the organization can go to for guidance on using Ab Initio in different business cases and functional areas. The role is expected to have a point of view and advocate for coding process, best practices, infrastructure integrations, etc. This will involve a wide variety of applications areas, such as standard batch development, batch frameworks tied into Express it, TU implemented Ab Initio code generation, continuous development, commenting on edge cases driven by high load on distributed infrastructure, Hadoop integrations, integrations with the Ab Initio thin client application suite, etc. If it can be done in Ab Initio, we're likely doing it here. This role is not about walking into a company and installing a fresh instance of Ab Initio. This is about walking into an organization with a large Ab Initio footprint that wants to invest in becoming a more mature development shop.
How You'll Contribute
- You will wear many hats and find yourself adding value in a large number of different projects. Your contribution might include any of the following.
- Researching and defining Ab Initio development and architectural standards. This involves understanding both the Ab Initio ecosystem as well as the wider application development ecosystem, understanding where TransUnion is today, defining where we can go, and how to get there.
- You will define standards for code review, defect resolution, environment creation, code release, and hotfixes, with the understanding that those ideas exist in the context of the entire SDLC lifecycle. They must integrate with parts of the process which you might not directly control, such as requirements generation, infrastructure standards and practices, AGILE methodology, etc.
- Effectively advocating for standards and best practices across architecture boards, delivery teams, and Senior management
- Ability to provide code snippets, examples, integrations, and comment on development design and solutions presented by development teams
- Extending standards (or guidance) beyond the TU corporate office to both national and international acquisitions and partners (i.e., M&A or a credit bureau in another country). You may also assist with the 'productization' of internal Ab Initio applications for use in these other regions.
- Providing guidance and standards for platform upgrade paths across a wide variety of applications and use cases.
- Determining development process standards ( git flow ) and how they are implemented at TU leveraging our ecosystem of productivity tools ( Jenkins/Stash/Etc )
- Providing guidance to legacy applications to help them migrate to defined development processes
- Assessing the technical implementation of a solution (as it is being proposed to address customer's business requirements)
- Perform code review or peer reviews
- Perform other related duties as assigned
What You'll Bring
- Ten or more years of hands-on experience in a Ab Initio development teams.
- Two or more years leading software development teams both onshore and offshore.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. The ability to communicate your vision in a positive and constructive manner is a central part of this role.
- Deep proficiency in Ab Initio is required across batch and continuous development areas, as well as knowledge of the wider Ab Initio ecosystem of tools ( express it, control center, etc )
- Proficiency with python a plus
- Knowledge of Ab Initio best practices and commonly used practices in your work experience
- Proficiency working in a Linux-based environment, including shell scripting and basic system administration
- Experience with Relational Databases and SQL programming
- Experience working on a team operating under an Agile Scrum delivery methodology
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to provide alternative solutions to technical problems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management or equivalent experience
Who We Are
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, veteran status, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Sheri heads up the Strategic Sales Team for the Insurance Division of TransUnion, assisting teams in providing data models and analytic solutions to company clients around the country and beyond.
Back to top