Infrastructure Capacity Planning and Performance Lead Engineer
The responsibilities and function of the Infrastructure Capacity and Performance Lead Engineer is to provide capacity measurement, reporting, and analysis of the distributed server infrastructure for the corporate data center. Responsibilities include the measuring and reporting of a complex multi-system application environment, the updating of management information systems, including asset management, time tracking, and other systems. This position is also required to provide metrics to support complex application system issues and problems, to include system baselines, trends, and overlaying future business growth projections. The Infrastructure Capacity and Planning Engineer must ensure high levels of data integrity, quality and availability for the enterprise. Knowledge of standard report tools as Splunk, Zenoss, Netscout, Statseeker and vendor management tools as CISCO DCNM, HDS Hi-Command, for example are preferred.
Performs an important function in the operation of the Infrastructure organization by building central database systems that house crucial information pertaining to such areas as Batch, Compliance, Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Legal and other key areas. Using a variety of software tools and working with a diverse range of hardware components to accomplish those objectives. Routine duties include analyzing performance and statistical data, determining key performance indicators, determining possible future performance bottlenecks, forecasting server and system capacity issues, trending usage and growth, and ensuring that system capacity is able to meet SLA’s. Reporting and presenting these issues to data center management, effected system teams, and application systems development. Working with multiple teams and departments to ensure and design cost effective strategies, plans and solutions. The position involves problem solving, making decisions, and applying knowledge in computer science, engineering and information technology to provide recommendations and solutions.
Duties and technical issues may sometimes require extended work hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Provide capacity planning and performance analysis, assist with disaster recovery plan documentation updates and testing, lead efforts towards distributed systems consolidation and identify systems growth. Maintain current knowledge of performance and capacity related trends and issues including current emerging technologies and best practices.
- Provide technical expertise, guidance and strategic recommendations to develop a roadmap that ensures performance and capacity solutions are compatible with the company’s business needs and strategic objectives.
- When performance issues arise, work with application owners to determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes.
- Lead a small team, delegate duties and manage expectations
- Document the company’s database environments.
- Supporting capacity modeling in a VMware virtualization environment.
- Manage and provide current systems usage statistics, provide future projected growth estimates.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment with many deadlines and competing priorities.
- Knowledge of networking, routing and switching technologies.
- Working knowledge of Red Hat Linux and Microsoft Windows Server administration.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field (such as Computer Science or MIS), and at least seven years’ related experience, to include three years with Capacity Planning/Performance; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience leading a small team and driving results from the team
- 5 years’ experience with planning, designing, configuration and support of large enterprise distributed compute environments.
- 3 years performing capacity planning, performance analysis and development/testing of data disaster recovery plans.
- 3 years with CISCO UCS, Dell, HP or similar enterprise-class server technologies.
- 3 years with Oracle RAC, MS SQL or similar enterprise-class database technologies.
- 3 years with EMC, NetApp, IBM, Hitachi or similar enterprise-class SAN/NAS Storage technologies.
- Preferred base SAS skills, working knowledge of Splunk and Zenoss
- Able to communicate clearly with peers as well as management.
- Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as work well in groups and collaborate effectively in storage/system design.
- Flexibility to adjust to changing requirements, schedules and priorities.
- The ability to socialize ideas, make recommendations and gather team consensus to move forward.
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate verbally and in writing with customers, associates, vendors, and management.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
What We Offer
We aim high — and are reaching for new heights every day. This is a terrific time to join our team as we build on our commitment to integrity, service, reliability and innovation. These values stand behind the decisions we make every day, as well as our relationships at work and with the customers we serve. We believe in the power to achieve and are taking it in bold new directions.
Who We Are
Information is a powerful thing. At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding innovative ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information.
Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find new ways information can be used for good. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of TransUnion's Employees
Technical Systems Engineer
TC’s main responsibility is to make sure all of the TransUnion Windows-based systems, across every office, are fully operational and available at all times.
Back to top