About Trail of Bits
Trail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.
As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, we serve clients in the defense, tech, finance, and blockchain industries. We help with their most difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques to advance the state of practice, and reviewing the security of the latest available technology products before they hit the market.
Our team consumes, produces, and presents research as a natural part of doing business. When we make new discoveries or developments, we strive to share our knowledge and release our tools as open-source. It’s a practice that’s earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom-line growth.
We are looking for a Managing Security Consultant for our Assurance Practice to continue to build and lead a global team of security researchers. You will participate in pre-sales activities to understand client pain points, describe potential solutions, and be involved in proposal development. Ensure and oversee quality delivery of services both from a technical and non-technical perspective. Communicate with internal stakeholders and external clients throughout the audit delivery process. Manage the delivery of all application security services including code review, report building, and client read-outs.
In this role, you will also manage your consulting organization to metrics such as utilization, revenue, sales, and customer satisfaction. Your input will directly affect the trajectory of our business by finding the best clients to achieve our mission.
- Manage, recruit, and develop a high-performing consulting team in a fast and continuously changing environment.
- Enable a team of security researchers to engage with multiple high-profile projects in discovering and addressing AppSec problems.
- Act as an escalation point to review work and provide feedback to our engineers.
- Work with the CEO, Assurance Practice Lead, and Research Lead to oversee cutting-edge application security tool development and research.
- Support a geographically distributed team of security researchers and engineers.
- Drive practice sales and proposal process by nurturing incoming leads, defining requirements, and iterating on proposals in conjunction with Professional Services staff.
- Maintain and improve customer relationships through delegating and delivering on scopes.
- Work closely with Project Managers on client work.
- Ensure technical excellence standards are maintained throughout each project.
- Update company leadership with projects’ status impacting sales, practice or team strategy, development, external publications, general learnings, etc
- 7+ years of work experience in application, infrastructure, or general security consulting, including 3+ years of proven hands-on management experience of consulting teams
- Ability to understand basic code review
- Proven experience building productive relationships with customers and partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience recruiting and managing geographically distributed security consulting teams
- Demonstrated experience in solving complex, systemic issues that require creative thinking and solutions
- Experience with multiple programming languages, with the ability to learn new languages quickly
- Ability to work and adapt in a changing and technical industry and work environment
- A startup mentality with a bias to action and the ability to flex in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience working remotely. Strong personal organizational skills and a love for self-time management
- Deep understanding and continuous education of security threats and application security in general
- Experience running a tech startup or company division is a plus
- Must live in the United States
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans including no-monthly-premium options supporting individuals and families through JustWorks
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, free Citi Bike membership, access to a HealthAdvocate, a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and a free One Medical membership
- 3-4 months paid parental leave
- 401k with 5% company matching through Betterment
- Moving expenses: $5k one-time
- Charitable donation matching up to $2,000
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance
- 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 14 company holidays per year
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren
- Personal information privacy protection service subscription through DeleteMe
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusion
Trail of Bits is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace where our employees can thrive and be themselves! We welcome all persons into our community. We embrace the diversity of gender, gender identity or expression, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, physical and mental disabilities, medical condition, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, marital status, family care or medical leave status, military or veteran status, or perceived membership in any of these groups.