Senior Web Developer
- New York, NY
Tough Mudder’s mission is to grow a global tribe that lives courage, personal accomplishment, teamwork, and fun. From day one, we’ve built a culture to reflect that philosophy, bringing on quirky people who are great at what they do and passionate about our events and customers.
Our ideal candidate wants more than a few lines on their resume – they want to help build a company that changes the lives of millions of people for the better. This role will give you the opportunity to push your boundaries and find out what you’re capable of, to work with and learn from incredibly smart people, and, most of all, to enjoy the journey of helping to market a world-class organization.
Sound like something you can get on board with?
Tough Mudder is searching for a Senior Web Developer who will be responsible for working on the front-end and server-side code required to optimize and support the newly-built toughmudder.com. This individual will be the technology lead for development initiatives across our domains, but will also be comfortable working with and supporting offshore technical teams (as needed). This person will produce common components that can be leveraged across multiple web properties, and will implement “responsive web design” in mind at all times.
Architecture design - The successful candidate will be required to come up with appropriate architecture and technical solutions for a wide range of web projects. The candidate may, at times, be required to research new technologies, methodologies, architecture patterns, develop a proof-of-concept and then create a full implementation plan based on best design pattern applicable to solving the problem. This individual will also be required to look at areas of re-use and architect solutions that can be easily integrated across products. They will also ensure that solutions are architected and implemented to scale with responsive web design for mobile devices.
Developing Solutions – As a senior technologist, the successful candidate will have a working knowledge of different front-end and server-side programming languages and design patterns. They will be able to work closely with 3rd party digital creative agencies, project managers, and in-house and out-of-house engineers in building and implement the right solution. Responsibility will include writing logic in the appropriate programming language to meet the functional requirements, as well as ensuring the appropriate test cases are implemented. This resource is also expected to ensure proper documentation of code before the code is deployed to production systems.
Application or Website Support – The candidate in this position will provide all required development or operational support to ensure the website is performing to availability, load time and stability standards. Some of these tasks may require providing support outside of core business hours.
- Demonstrate analytical and problem solving skills using knowledge, experience and understanding of basic Internet concepts along with necessary software, databases and programming languages
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong time management and project development skills, with ability to deliver on time and to specifications
- College degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5 – 6 years developing web applications and architectures to support high-traffic, scaleable sites
- Extensive experience developing custom themes and modules in WordPress
- Previous experience in building responsive web design for tablets and phones
- Understanding of web page front-end optimization best practices
- Track record of leading by example in the areas of code design, source code control, software life-cycle management, documentation, implementation, testing and production release of all software projects related to the environment.
- Experience managing (development and support) of multiple sites
- Experience with web development lifecycle including design, development, testing, and deployment
- Experience with web application architecture & design
- Experience with web development design patterns and best practices
- Experience with web application performance characteristics and best practices including front-end
- Demonstrable knowledge of best practice software development, QA, Source control
- General knowledge of editorial creative processes
- Proven ability to work with cross-functional stakeholders including Editorial, Product and Design
Tough Mudder is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Back to top