Manager, Market Development
Tough Mudder’s mission is to grow a global tribe that lives courage, personal accomplishment, teamwork, and fun. From day one, we’ve built a culture to reflect that philosophy, bringing on quirky people who are great at what they do and passionate about our events and customers. Together we have created a company that has become a movement. In just 7 years, we've had over 3 million people participate in 175+ events around the globe, and opened international offices in the US, UK and Australia. The opportunity ahead of us is vast, and we continue to look for the best and brightest to join the team.
Tough Mudder’s flagship U.S. office is located in downtown Brooklyn, arguably the creative capital of New York City. Joining our team offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for those dedicated few who share the goal of delivering great experiences for our participants. We’re on the lookout for people who want more than a job or even a career – they want to help build a company that changes the lives of millions of people for the better. As a member of TMHQ, you’ll be given an opportunity to push your boundaries and find out what you’re capable of, to work with and learn from incredibly smart colleagues, and to enjoy the journey of building a world-class company.
Sound like something you can get on board with?
The primary role of the Manager,Market Development is to source and manage venues for TMHQ event while building lasting relationship with the local communities. You will be responsible for developing strong external relationships, reviewing overall event profitability, understanding risk, and generating best deal terms for TMHQ events.
The Manager, Market Development will join the North American Operations unit, reporting directly into the Director of Market Development.
- Identify, educate, and build relationships with key community leaders in locations where Tough Mudder operates
- Source, scout and negotiate with potential venues in a prospective market
- Drive business development across multiple brands for the TMHQ calendar of events by analyzing marketability, profitability and overall operational ability to host Tough Mudder events in North America.
- Focus on long-term planning horizon to position the company to hold events in optimal locations based on analysis of projected attendance, community support, location marketability, and venue-related deal terms that affect the event P&L, including food and beverage, parking, commercial sponsorship opportunities and site fees
- Assess venue requirements and off-site parking options for TMHQ events, ensuring efficient operations and sourcing viable venues for each market
- Negotiate best deal terms in venue rental agreements
- Manage relationships with venue owners to ensure contractual obligations are met
- Develop and maintain relationships with key local stakeholders, including tourism officials, venue owners, and government officials
- Maintain strong relationships across different industry partners (ski resorts, racetracks, hunt clubs, etc.)
- Serve as a brand ambassador for TMHQ, including attending conferences and developing materials to educate on benefits of hosting an event
- Attend 3+ event weekends per year in an operational support role to remain familiar with the Tough Mudder product
- Proven negotiation skills
- Laser-focused on meeting deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, but ability to think, operate and communicate at an executive level
- Proven ability to work independently with sound judgment and strong initiative
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple projects at once
- Creative problem solver who works well in a team
- A clear focus on delivering results and achieving objectives
- Willing to be based in Brooklyn and travel up to 40% of the time
- Minimum of 4+ years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage and draft complex and detailed contracts and execute deals, alongside strong stakeholder management
- Sports travel/tourism or event operations experience a plus
- B2B sales a plus
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Valid driver’s license and passport is required
Tough Mudder is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Meet Some of Tough Mudder's Employees
Vicky heads up the planning of new Tough Mudder 5K obstacle events in cities all around the United Kingdom.
Back to top