Sr. Design Director, Handbags – Pre Collection
This position oversees all design activities and team for the Pre Collection - Handbag team and is responsible for creative vision, design process, product elevation, and collaboration across multiple teams in the US and overseas.
- Serve as the Design lead for the Pre- Collection Design team.
- Identify emerging trends; recommend those that are appropriate for Tory Burch through seasonal research and travel for competitive shopping and exploration of ideas with the company’s overseas manufacturing network.
- Interpret trends in a brand-appropriate execution.
- Oversee seasonal conceptualization and creation of design concepts for handbags.
- Continue to elevate, refine and expand the assortments, while simultaneously maintaining consistent Tory Burch aesthetic.
- Responsible for delivering product that meets both sales volume and gross margin goals.
- Partner with key merchants and designers to ensure alignment of product across categories.
- Continue to drive product elevation across the collection.
- Develop strong relationships with Merchandising, Sourcing and Product Development to ensure that business needs are understood and addressed in advance of the seasonal design process and that calendar handoffs are accomplished on time.
- Ensure handbag lines for all sales channels and geographies are developed according to the development calendar and the parameters of the brand platform as well as the merchandising category needs and attributes.
- Partner with merchandising to develop SKU count, competitive pricing points, concept and product flow.
- Work with PD to develop profitable products while maintaining quality, design integrity and brand aesthetic.
- Ensure cross product alignment via actively communicating and collaborating with all other design teams.
- Set direction for the Design process calendar with throughout the development cycle and ensure that the process stays on time.
- Lead and attend key meetings with Merchants, Product Development, Planning, and Sourcing and travel as outlined in the development process calendar.
- Inspire, motivate, develop and serve as a mentor to the design team and bring the right balance of creative design talent and business acumen to the organization.
- Develop, coach, and counsel staff. Assure the company has a well-trained and motivated staff to meet current and future needs.
- Identify, train and cultivate a strong bench for future growth and expansion.
- 10+ years design experience managing overall product development in high-volume branded retailer or manufacturer.
- A “self-merchandising” designer who can drive creativity while maintaining profit goals.
- Experience managing design budget and calendar.
- Vision and ability to conceptualize
- Designer who is creatively driven while maintaining a business mindset as it relates to profitability and commercial acceptability.
- Has worked closely with strong merchandising function ensuring profitability, appropriate gross margin, and maximizing sell-thru.
- Self-merchandising, must understand commercial acceptability.
- Ability to identify trends on a long and short term basis.
- Must have an even temperament (not a big ego) and a willingness to roll up their sleeves and be part of a team.
- Highly organized.
- Must be cost driven, methodical and calendar driven.
- High and translatable taste-level.
- Left brain/right brain.
- Strong people skills with the ability to manage unique and diverse personalities.
- Possesses inspirational and directional leadership skills.
- Strong communication (both verbal and written).
- Strong listening skills.
- Raw intellect/intelligence.
- Ability to assimilate and promote the company’s culture.
Back to top