Product Development Associate - Home & Soft Accessories
As a Tory Burch Product Development Associate, you are a critical cross-functional partner, pivotal in building aesthetically and quality authentic product while achieving financial goals. Coordination of the product development process is performed by:
1. Meeting calendar deadlines to ensure that products are delivered on time.
2. Maintaining gross profit goals by working with sourcing partners to plan and control item costs.
3. Develop product that meets aesthetics, function and quality goals as outlined in the design package.
- Schedules, tracks, and reports on all requested prototypes.
- Compiles and reviews all specs (BOMs/tech packs) for accuracy, completeness, quality, affordability, and compliance prior to issuance.
- Coordinates with cross functional teams to manage spec turnover within calendar, development status, and final handoff to production.
- Passes specs to manufacturing partners on behalf of design and communicates daily with HKO and suppliers on questions and changes to specs, standards, and aids in interpreting design needs.
- Reviews all prototypes and market samples to insure faithful execution to spec with Manager for training.
- Buys, schedules, monitors, and reports on all necessary sample materials.
- Maintains and issues all standards for the designs and production to manufacturing partners.
- Schedules and tracks all pre-production samples to insure exact execution of final design. Reviews and approves all production materials and resolves any variances with suppliers, merchandising, design and production to maintain on time delivery of finished goods.
- Works closely with the design team on seasonal offering needs to provide options in materials, suppliers, techniques, and costs that are on brand.
- With internal materials departments, and with direct sources, work to execute materials that are viable for our brand, trends, costing, and quality.
- With the team, participates in on-going factory base performance reviews, and recommends improvements to factories and base that are beneficial to our brand.
- Aims to instill quality in the product from material evaluation through final production.
- Reviews all components with an eye for quality and durability with supervisor.
- Ensures that all components and constructions used are compliant for performance and restricted substances in development with Supervisor.
- Tests questionable materials and treatments in development cycle to prevent a lapse in product flow in production with Supervisor.
- Reviews all products for customs compliance needs prior to production.
- Maintains accurate compliance records in the event of audit by applicable authorities in PDM.
- Works to calendar to insure timely turnover of development, return of prototypes, and market samples and placement of final production.
- Monitors calendar daily to promote flow of development.
- Apprises and resolves calendar variances with supervisor.
- Interacting daily with the Design, Tech Design, Creative/Marketing, and Production teams regarding all aspects of the Product Development and Sourcing process
- With Design, Merchandising, and Production, manages liability inventories via special cuts and/or liquidation and MFO.
- As needed, works closely with supervisors to resolve delivery and material issues affecting production.
- Works on other relevant projects as required by Supervisor.
- Tracking of all essential approval submits needed throughout the product development process, from both fabric vendors and tanneries.
- Receipt and timely facilitation of all color approval submits from fabric vendors to our design department.
- Receipt and timely facilitation of all sample approval submits from all sample factories to our tech/design partners.
- Cutting and distributing all sales sample fabrics/leathers as well as sales sample fabric boards once received from fabric/leather vendors.
- Completing all lab dip, hand loom and strike off submittal forms prior to hand off to design/color area.
- Responsible for accurate and efficient distribution of all incoming packages to the appropriate design and tech designers.
- Assist in preparing daily communication to all vendors regarding the timing and action of all programs in work; for both fabric/leather as well as samples.
- Attend and contribute to product development and calendar meetings as needed.
- Entry of various product development details into the PDM system or tracker reports.
- Assist in ensuring the timely delivery of market ready sample yardage to the coordinating sample factory(s).
- Copy, distribute and file all adopted paperwork and swatches on a daily basis to the appropriate recipient; this includes request forms as well as any CAD artwork, pitch sheets etc.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent life experience
- Minimum 2-3 years in fashion accessories product development, sourcing, and/or production, with exposure to home goods, and soft accessories.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Strong math and collaborative skills
- Able to work in a fluid, fast-paced, multi-channel environment.
Meet Some of Tory Burch's Employees
Director, Production — Handbags & Accessories
Kelsey oversees the manufacturing process for the Tory Burch accessories category, from initial order to product placement to retail store delivery.
Back to top