Manager, Product Development, Handbags
As a Tory Burch Product Development Manager, you are a critical cross-functional partner, pivotal in building an aesthetically and quality authentic product while achieving financial goals.
Coordination of the product development process is performed by:
1. Meeting calendar deadlines to ensure that products are delivered on time.
2. Maintaining gross profit goals by working with sourcing partners to plan and control item costs.
3. Develop product that meets aesthetics, function and quality goals as outlined in the Design package.
- Responsibility and ownership of the product creation process from design hand off to final product, with an emphasis on quality product development and timely completion of all tasks in accordance with the operating calendar.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with Product Managers, Designers, Materials/Sourcing team, Quality Control, Operations and direct materials suppliers in order to ensure product success
- Complete management, creation and revision responsibilities of specifications for assigned styles as needed i.e. Compiles and reviews all specs (BOMs/tech packs) for accuracy, completeness, quality, affordability, and compliance prior to issuance.
- Recommends design enhancements, construction and material options geared at elevating our brands and hitting financial requirements. Resolves with counterparts any design that does not meet design, merchandising, production or financial needs.
- Coordinates with cross functional teams to manage spec turnover within calendar, development status, and final handoff to production.
- Oversees the spec pass off to manufacturing partners on behalf of design and communicates daily with HKO and suppliers on questions and changes to specs, standards, and aids in interpreting design needs.
- Monitors and reviews all prototypes and market samples to insure faithful execution to spec as well as meets quality, execution, and construction standards. Provides feedback and information to factories in order to make necessary changes clear and organized.
- Maintains and issues all standards for the designs and production to manufacturing partners.
- Reviews and communicates style and material minimums, material costs, and lead times with design, production, and merchandising.
- Negotiates pre-production costs based on design, merchandising and financial plans. Cost guidance is offered at first and second proto stages with final costing due by SMS.
- Works closely with the design team on seasonal offering needs to provide options in materials, suppliers, techniques, and costs that are on brand.
- With internal materials departments, and with direct sources, work to execute materials that are viable for our brand, trends, costing, and quality
- Sources alternate manufacturers and material suppliers to provide options in materials, products, and techniques.
- With production, HKO, and design input, awards business by allocating specs to factories that are advantageous to the brand for aesthetic, price, delivery, and execution while avoiding overdependence on any resource.
- With HKO, production, and with design input, plans annual factory allocation to insure adequate capacity.
- With the team, participates in on-going factory base performance reviews, and recommends improvements to factories and base that are beneficial to our brand.
- Aims to instill quality in the product from material selection thru final production.
- Reviews all components with an eye for quality and durability.
- Insures that all components and constructions used are compliant for performance and restricted substances prior to production.
- Tests questionable materials and treatments in development cycle to prevent a lapse in product flow in production.
- Reviews all products for customs compliance needs in development prior to production.
- Maintains accurate compliance records in the event of audit by applicable authorities.
- Works to build and flex seasonal calendar with Supervisor to ensure timely turnover of development, return of prototypes, and market samples and placement of final production.
- Monitors calendar daily to promote flow of development.
- Apprises and resolves calendar variances with supervisor.
- Travels 3-4 times per year or as needed to fulfill the requirements of the role.
- With design, merchandising, and production, manages liability inventories via special cuts and/or liquidation.
- As needed works closely with supervisors to resolve delivery and material issues affecting production.
- Works on other relevant projects as required by supervisor.
- Constant evaluation and evolution of the product development process through education of employees and process change.
- Problem solving to bring innovative designs and new constructions to fruition
- Regular partnership with the development team in Asia to deliver product that meets all goals for the different categories
- Regular meetings with Development Director as well as other leaders within the organization to identify and strategize on areas needing continued improvement
- Current working knowledge of materials market and manufacturing landscape. Attends trade shows and interacts with tanneries.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent life experience
- Minimum 2-5 years in fashion handbags product development, sourcing, and/or production
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Strong math and collaborative skills
- Able to work in a fluid, fast-paced, multi-channel environment.
- Use of Adobe Illustrator and PDM system helpful
Tory Burch LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual’s age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) or sexual orientation, gender expression, military status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, disability or membership in any other protected class under applicable law.
If you require assistance or an accommodation with the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Meet Some of Tory Burch's Employees
Katy creates the code that powers ToryBurch's digital commerce site, creating a seamless user experience and enhancing features as trends and the business change.
Back to top