Senior Software Engineer in Visualization team
Are you looking for the next great challenge in your career and are you ready to join our world-class team of Software Engineers. Then this might be the perfect opportunity for you!
What does Visualization team do?
Visualization team creates products that enhance the experience of standard map. Our products make the map richer, more attractive visually and improve navigation by giving broader context and additional level of details. We provide our customers with detailed 3D city maps, landmarks, digital elevation model and junction views. Our product portfolio grows dynamically – during last 12 months we initiated development for 3 completely new products.
How does Visualization team work?
We use Scrum methodology to organize our work. In multidisciplinary teams of 5 – 7 members Software Engineers cooperate with Test Engineers and Documentation Engineers designing, implementing and assuring good quality of the software. The whole Engineering team is located in Lodz - we have local Product Owner and Scrum Master, however, we are in very close contact with our internal customers who are located in Ghent, Belgium. Very good cooperation between both locations is one of our greatest achievements.
Since the team is quite experienced in the domain already the stories for each sprint are usually clear and well defined, however, it does not mean that they are not challenging. Team members have significant influence on how given problem is solved as well as on the way the solution is implemented; they actively participate in requirement gathering and definition process, feasibility studies and propose improvements. Our daily tasks require creativity and good level of analytical and algorithmic skills. Our main programming language is Java.
What is interesting in this position?
- You will be exposed to many challenges and opportunities to learn and gain valuable experience.
- You will work with the team that really cares about code quality and high engineering standards.
- You will work on competitive and visually attractive products.
- You will be able to see the results of your work quickly and get immediate feedback on its value.
What will I do as a Software Engineer?
- You will work within Visualization department in Agile environment – as a member of a scrum team.
- You will be creating and extending complex service-oriented systems that are used by TomTom operations in map production processes.
- You will be solving various problems that occur during development or deployment phase (from design and architecture, through code complexity and bugs to performance issues)
- You will cooperate on daily basis with the customers (users of the system) in order to deliver products of high quality and efficiency.
What skills do I need to do this job well?
- You are passionate about programming, always eager to learn and improve skills.
- You are capable of analyzing or at least discussing complex problems. Ability to solve such problems is additional asset.
- You are team-oriented, which means being able to communicate with other team members, expressing doubts and accepting constructive criticism in reasonable way.
- You have good communications skills in English – you should be able to read and understand technical documentation as well as communicate with colleagues from other locations on a daily basis.
- You have knowledge of modern programming technologies and approaches (OOP, Design Patterns, SOLID principles, TDD, Service Oriented Architecture etc.).
- You have experience in at least one object oriented language – preferably Java (or at least you should be willing to give Java a try).
- You have the ability of analyzing problems and decomposing it into logical parts.
- The knowledge on 3D data structure and formats (OBJ, VRML, COLLADA etc.), 3D data processing and rendering is additional asset.
- Some experience already as a software developer is additional asset; however it is not a must for Software Engineer position.
Founded in 1991, TomTom is the world's leading provider of in-car location and navigation products and services focused on providing all drivers with the world's best navigation experience. Headquartered in Amsterdam, TomTom has over 3,500 employees and sells its products in over 40 countries.
Our products include portable navigation devices, in-dash infotainment systems, fleet management solutions, maps and real-time services, including the award winning HD Traffic.
By streamlining and integrating our organization we have created a lean and agile structure enabling us to stay close to our customers and substantially improving our time to market. TomTom comprises four business units, Consumer, Automotive, Business Solutions and Licensing.
About Business Unit: Maps
The heart of location services is the map and TomTom delivers the most current digital map of the world. Since 2006 TomTom has collected anonymous GPS measurements from its users. This unique community harvests knowledge from local experts and it is combined with traditional sources including paper maps, field surveys, aerial and satellite imagery and mobile mapping vans. The result is a dynamic map full of enhanced content ranging from points of interest to 3D city maps. TomTom's navigable map database is the first to reach 35.2 million kilometers of roads, covering 104 countries and a record 3.4 billion people worldwide.
If you would like to be part of this winning international sales support team and help us further position ourselves as the authority in location and navigation solutions, please apply or contact Mariola Kluczewska-Baran.
We kindly ask you to complete the form and attachments in English.
Pre-employment screening of all external candidates is part of the process.
Meet Some of TomTom's Employees
Telematics Sales Support Specialist
Julie helps support the sales process for the Telematics Division—the group that sells TomTom products directly to businesses that have fleets of one to 500 vehicles.
Back to top