Mobile App Developer
Where do you want to be…in a year, in 5 years?
What if you had the opportunity to achieve more in less time then you could ever imagine?
At TomTom, you can.
TomTom Sports needs mobile app developers to join the expert team delivering our next generation Sports app for Android and iOS. We're looking for creative engineers with a strong foundation in native app development on one or more of the mobile platforms, but critically also with the enthusiasm and flexibility to embrace new mobile tools and technologies like React Native.
The TomTom Sports app offers its users a rich, accessible window onto their sporting activity and day-to-day fitness, through innovative visualizations fed by smart data analysis. The app also serves as the synchronisation hub for TomTom's sports wearables range. Engineering responsibilities span collaborating with our ambitious UX team on the conception and delivery of innovative new features, to dealing with cloud and Bluetooth comms, to integrating with the latest prototype wearables.
Join us working in this exciting domain using lightweight agile processes and cutting-edge mobile tooling.
Sound good so far?
Here's a little taste of your challenge:
- Deliver comprehensive automated tests alongside the features you deliver, and take pride and ownership in your work through to shipping and beyond, including defect fixing
- Participate actively in maintaining the quality and architectural integrity of the software by designing features and frameworks with modularity and maintainability in mind, identifying and executing refactoring improvements alongside feature increments, and help hold everyone to the same standard through code reviews
- Collaborate closely with other teams within TomTom Sports, including those delivering web services and embedded software for our wearable devices
What we are looking for:
- You have expertise in Android, iOS or other mobile/embedded operating systems
- You aren't afraid to get your hands dirty down in C and C++ when the situation calls for it
- Having experience in UI development is clearly highly desirable but not necessarily essential: there's a lot more to app development than just what's visible on screen
- You understand the intricacies and pitfalls of multithreaded and async programming
- You understand the trade-offs inherent in key data structure and algorithm choices when it comes to performance and memory usage
- You would feel at home working as part of a self-organizing Scrum team within an organisation using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Familiarity with macOS, Git and scripting languages like Ruby, along with build and test tooling, would be a plus
What you can expect
- You will never get bored! We move fast like a "start-up" but have the benefits of a billion euro company.
- A company culture that likes to work hard and play hard. We like to have fun. There is no sense coming to a job everyday if you don't like the people you work with.
- Have an idea? A suggestion? A new way of doing something? The founders are still very present in the company and are very accessible. We all are. There is always room for good ideas. Entrepreneurialism is valued.
- Decisive actions. We don't like to wait. It's in our DNA to move forward. So it only makes sense that we don't jam the company with lots of layers. We make things happen. Quickly.
- Let's not forget the good stuff: flexible benefits, 50% product discount and bonus scheme.
- Salary range 37 000 - 45 000 GBP gross yearly (based on the experience of selected candidate)
Want to join us?
We would like to meet you!
Online assessments and pre-employment screening is part of the selection process.
Please be aware that we the deadline for sending the applications is up to 20th of July 2017.
Meet Some of TomTom's Employees
Telematics Sales Support Specialist
Julie helps support the sales process for the Telematics Division—the group that sells TomTom products directly to businesses that have fleets of one to 500 vehicles.
Back to top