Vice President - Communications & Publications
TNTP seeks a full-time Vice President for Communications. This position will be based from a home office (flex location) or from our office in Brooklyn, NY. Occasional travel is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Our Communications & Publications Department strives to advance TNTP’s mission through strategic, high-impact communications. Our Communications & Publications Department works to position TNTP as the nation’s most authoritative voice on effective teachers. The department is responsible for TNTP's communications, public relations, and marketing efforts – including publishing TNTP’s influential blog and nationally acclaimed research and policy papers, such as The Mirage (2015), The Irreplaceables (2012) and The Widget Effect (2009), and Room to Run (2016), TNTP’s first multimedia feature. In addition to the TNTP Blog, reports and papers, TNTP’s publications strategy includes a strong social media element. Our 13-person team is virtual, with several of us based in TNTP’s Brooklyn office and the rest working remotely from home offices across the country.
What You’ll Do
The Vice President will report to the Executive Vice President – Public Affairs and set the vision, goals and culture for the Communications & Publications Department. We’re looking for a skilled communicator who is equally at home setting a high-level vision and honing a precise turn of phrase.
The Vice President will oversee TNTP’s brand, publications, internal communications, and strategic support for TNTP staff and clients in school systems nationwide. We expect our Vice President to:
- Be an outstanding communicator. You are an expert writer and editor with a clear and compelling voice, a sensitive ear, and a knack for finding simplicity in complexity. You add that extra level of polish to signature communications, whether it’s a publication, CEO speech, or client campaign.
- Have a vision that connects our work to outcomes for kids. You’re a strategy setter who can generate innovative and nuanced solutions to complex challenges. You help our partners translate strategy into action, and have a vision for how a third-party organization can catalyze substantive improvements in public education through strategic communication.
- Be a strong strategic thinker. You are a natural problem-solver who can efficiently assess the big picture, analyze the root causes, and define new ways forward. You are intellectually curious and thrive on working with multidisciplinary teams, often across multiple projects at once.
- Invest and influence others. You bring out the best in your team and inspire your colleagues. You are a skilled manager who can lead a strong team to new heights. You are confident with clients, listen actively, and advise effectively.
Specifically, the Vice President will:
- Set the vision and strategy for TNTP’s national communication priorities.
- Contribute directly to the team’s communications consulting with district and school clients.
- Support efforts to keep staff informed about TNTP’s direction and invested in our vibrant culture.
- Participate as a supportive and engaged member of the organization’s Leadership Team.
- Develop TNTP’s amazing people, establishing a consistent bar for quality and thoughtfully cultivating talent.
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Specifically, we are looking for people with:
- Senior leadership experience and expertise in communications strategy; experience with nonprofit, education or social justice organizations are preferred, 10+ years of experience preferred
- Proven experience shaping long-term vision and driving strategies to achieve objectives in marketing, public relations, internal communications and policy communications
- Deep expertise in motivating and influencing others—including peers, direct reports and other stakeholders—to take action
- Experience leading and developing an engaged, diverse and effective department that delivers work of the highest quality and meets goals
- Strong experience in managing budgets and maintaining the fiscal health and sustainability of the team
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top