Training and Instruction Manager - Baltimore
Seeking exceptional educators to end educational inequality!
TNTP seeks a full-time Training and Instruction Manager for Baltimore City Teaching Residency (BCTR). This position is based in Baltimore, Maryland, and is available immediately (a start at the end of the current school year is acceptable).
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation's public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we're a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP's Baltimore City Teaching Residency Program is an alternative route to a career in teaching for talented professionals committed to improving the odds for kids by raising student achievement. There are currently more than 700 Residents teaching high-need subject areas and classrooms through Baltimore City Public Schools.
What You'll Do
As a Training and Instruction Manager, you will prepare teachers to build supportive classroom environments where each student is motivated to learn through engaging and worthwhile content that leads to equitable outcomes., . Specifically, you will:
- Develop teachers through direct coaching and training, ensuring that teachers rapidly improve their performance
- Identify innovative solutions for improving the overall performance of your caseload of teachers to meet contract goals
- Design Common Core State Standards-aligned, content specific sessions for teacher professional development
- Play a supporting role in TNTP's teacher development initiatives, proposing and crafting long-term, Maryland State Standards-aligned teacher development strategies and services
- Collaborate with BCTR team members on the direction and vision of the program overall.
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children's lives through education. You'll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Training and Instruction Manager to:
- Have classroom experience. You have at least two years of teaching experience (preferably in a high-need school) and a proven track record of raising student achievement. You have strong familiarity and expertise with the Common Core State Standards (highly preferred).
- Know great teaching when they see it. Whether you are watching a teacher deliver a lesson or looking at student performance data, you can identify where that teacher is effective and what s/he needs to do to improve immediately and in the long-term.
- Develop teachers. You track and analyze teacher data, but it's what you do with it that really has an impact. Based on your data analysis and what you see in the classroom, you identify new approaches to improve teacher performance under a quick timeline.
- Have stage presence. We're counting on your strong facilitation skills and ability to expertly lead teacher professional development.
- Be comfortable with the unknown. Ambiguity doesn't scare you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. You are flexible and comfortable adapting your work to maximize your impact on students, the teachers you coach and your team.
- Expand collaboration within the team and beyond. You collaborate with others on your team to identify and act on opportunities and challenges. You know your own expertise and approaches, while working to develop an understanding and inclusion of those around you.
- Previous experience designing and facilitating professional development for teachers (highly preferred)
- Strong creative instincts to develop new approaches, programs or initiatives with limited guidance and historical precedent
- Proven ability to overcome barriers and provide seamless service to program stakeholders
- Ability to track and analyze data on teacher and student performance to uncover trends and act strategically and effectively to improve results
- A commitment to constant learning and improvement, in both your own work and the work of others. You thrive on feedback and implement it quickly to continually improve your practice
- Familiarity with Maryland curriculum and Maryland State Standards (preferred)
- Willingness to work non-standard hours and occasional weekends during spring and summer training periods
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Baltimore City Teaching Residency: http://tntpteachingfellows.org/baltimore
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Training & Instruction Manager
Joe strives to improve NYC’s education system by training talented new teachers. As a Training & Instruction Manager, he helps to prepare 900 new Teaching Fellows to enter classrooms each year.
Back to top