Teacher Development Coaches- Baltimore City Teaching Residency
Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Teacher Development Coaches the Baltimore City Teaching Residency (BCTR). This position is based in Baltimore, Maryland and is available in Summer 2019 with training for the role beginning in Spring 2019. To be considered for this role, you must be able to attend training during the Spring at least twice per week for a six-week time period. In addition, candidates must have 100% availability during the six week Pre-Service Training experience.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation's public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we're a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Through a TNTP partnership with City Schools, Baltimore City Teaching Residency (BCTR) provides career changers and recent college graduates the chance to transform the lives of Baltimore City youth. We are not just any teacher preparation program. We do not just provide a means to earn certification. We prepare teachers to lead thriving, academically demanding classroom communities in which students achieve at high levels. Currently, one in ten Baltimore City Teachers became a teacher through BCTR.
The Baltimore City Teaching Residency prepares Residents to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. Our training approach, called Fast Start, focuses on foundational skills that we believe Residents must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. During their pre-service training, Residents rehearse the foundational skills, receive coaching, and practice them with students. Residents must demonstrate proficiency in these skills in order to successfully complete pre-service training and become a teacher of record in the fall.
What You'll Do
Teacher Development Coaches are experienced and successful teachers who develop Residents towards mastery of a small number of foundational skills that we believe Residents must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Influence, coach, and motivate a group of 12-15 Residents to reach ambitious goals with students and mastery of the four foundational skills by:
- Observing and providing specific, actionable, on-the-spot feedback to individual Residents at least twice per week on their teaching performance in a summer school classroom
- Planning and executing daily coaching experiences, including in-classroom interventions, that are based on performance data and offer opportunities for practice and immediate feedback
- Using, inputting, and managing data systems that help inform coaching and instructional practices.
- Co-facilitating skill building sessions, which support Residents' acquisition of Teach Like a Champion techniques aligned with the foundational skills of PST
- Evaluating Resident performance by assessing Resident proficiency, using data to identify trends in teacher performance and identifying the highest priority development areas on an individual and group level
- Promoting analytical self-reflection in Residents in order to accelerate growth and student achievement\
- Meeting with other PST team members to plan meaningful training activities and norm on Resident performance standards
Additionally, based on experience, some Teacher Development Coaches responsibilities may include:
- Facilitating of PST staff training
- Planning and/or revising sessions that will help improve Resident performance
- Mentoring and/or coaching other Teacher Development Coaches
- Facilitating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Sessions
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children's lives through education. You'll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Teacher Development Coaches to demonstrate a record of academic success working with students in high need schools, high expectations for students and teachers, and strong organizational and communication skills.
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards (highly preferred)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (highly preferred)
- Familiarity with Baltimore City Public Schools curriculum in your certification area (preferred/not required)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort observing and providing direct feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate teacher improvement
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the pre-service training (50+ hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making.
- Willingness to be a part of a culture that is diverse and inclusive
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive compensation commensurate with experience in a similar position. Teacher Development Coaches, on average, make $20 per hour. TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation's children. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work each day.
Teacher Development Coaches can expect up to 40 hours of training over multiple days in the spring and summer. Teacher Development Coaches are focused on preparation work in advance of pre-service training and a full-time commitment of 40 - 50+hours/week for the six weeks of pre-service training.
If you are interested in becoming a Teacher Development Coach for Baltimore City Teaching Residency, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to mentor new teachers who are preparing for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges incoming Residents will face in their first year and how you will help them to overcome these challenges during pre-service training?
Please submit your application online.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top