Teacher Development Coach – Baltimore City Teaching Residency
Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Teacher Development Coaches for the Baltimore City Teaching Residency (BCTR). This position is based in Baltimore, MD and is available in summer 2016 (training starts in spring 2016).
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Through a TNTP partnership with City Schools, Baltimore City Teaching Residency (BCTR) provides career changers and recent college graduates the chance to transform the lives of Baltimore City youth. We are not just any teacher preparation program. We do not just provide a means to earn certification. We prepare teachers to lead thriving, academically demanding classroom communities in which students achieve at high levels. Currently, one in ten Baltimore City Teachers became a teacher through BCTR.
Because of the high stakes for Baltimore students, our rigorous training program expects a tremendous amount of our new teachers. Our fast-paced program focuses on the essential skills that teachers need most to start strong. Teachers will repeatedly practice foundational classroom management and instructional techniques, receive direct feedback from skilled coaches, and must pass an evaluation in order to be eligible to start teaching in the fall. Not everyone who enrolls and starts summer training will begin teaching during the school year, which ensures that only new teachers who start strong are in front of Baltimore City students.
What You’ll Do
Teacher Development Coaches are experienced and successful teachers who develop Residents towards mastery of a small number of foundational skills that we believe Residents must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. As the most significant support for TNTP’s Teaching Residents during Pre-Service Training, the Teacher Development Coach will be expected to:
- Influence, coach, and motivate a group of 10-13 Residents to reach ambitious goals with students and mastery of the four foundational skills by:
- Observing and providing specific, actionable, on-the-spot feedback to individual Residents at least twice per week on their teaching performance in a summer school classroom
- Planning and executing daily coaching experiences, including in-classroom interventions, that are based on performance data and offer opportunities for practice and immediate feedback
- Co-facilitating instructional skill building sessions, which support Residents’ acquisition of foundational content-specific instructional planning and delivery skills
- Providing targeted feedback on selected lesson plans before they are implemented
- Evaluate Resident performance by assessing Resident proficiency, using data to identify trends in teacher performance, identifying the highest priority development areas on an individual and group level and aligning coaching actions to teacher development goals
- Be a champion of our Pre-Service Training vision and consistently convey the importance of building strong relationships with students and families to create an equitable classroom experience for every student
- Attend approximately 40 hours of training throughout April, May and June to prepare for the start of Pre-Service Training
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Teacher Development Coaches to demonstrate a record of academic success working with students in high need schools, hold high expectations for students and teachers, and exhibit strong organizational and communication skills. Ideal candidates will also have:
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards (highly preferred)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (highly preferred)
- Experience with building relationships with students and their families and promoting equity in the classroom
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes that arise and maintain a focus on goals
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort observing and providing direct feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate teacher improvement
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of Pre-Service Training (60+ hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children.
Teacher Development Coaches can expect to attend up to 40 hours of training over multiple weekdays in April, May and June. In the summer Teacher Development Coaches commit to 60 or more hours per week for the six weeks of Pre-Service Training.
If you are interested in becoming a Teacher Development Coach for the Baltimore City Teaching Residency, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experiences and skills make you a strong candidate to coach new teachers, provide them with critical feedback, and prepare them to be successful in a high-need classroom?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges incoming Residents will face in their first year and how you will help them to overcome these challenges during Pre-Service Training?
Please submit your application online.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Hiring process: http://tntp.org/join/hiring-process
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/join/life-at-tntp
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top